Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While these old cars are a joy to drive they do lack some basic safety features that we take for granted in our modern cars. In that regard, I have made a few mods to my 1967 that might be of interest to readers. These mods are easily reversible for a future more NCRS-conscious owner.

The first is pretty standard: the installation of radial tires, in my case Pirelli P-4000 Supertouring. The size is P215-70ZR/15. That is close to the original 7.75-15 and no speedometer calibration was required. My wheels are American Racing (AR) Torq Thrust IIs; size is 15 x 6" with 3 3/8" backspacing and +1/8" offset. No problems with fender clearance.

The second is the installation of three-point seat belts. I was not comfortable with just lap belts. The supplier (not sponsoring here) provides these with generic chrome buckles and tongues. I modified these with "correct" GM tongues and buckles. Besides the more original look, the GM units fit in the console buckle holders. The generic did not.

The third is the subject of the thread: daytime running lights (DRLs). Frontal view of a Corvette to oncoming traffic is minimal and this concerns me on two-lane roads. I modified my former 1979 with Hella lamps behind the grilles and that worked very well. But the 1967 had me stumped until I noted a colleague had the front parking lamps on his 1980 running as DRLs. He referred me to a small, on-line company in the USA (not sponsoring here) that provides the conversion module and wiring for about $40.00. So what the heck I thought that I would give it a try.

And they work! You need an ignition-switched (and fused) power source. No invasion of the main dash or engine harness is necessary. You do have to tap into the parking lamp pigtails but that is minor surgery. The pic shows the car idling with lamps on. It is set up to activate the turn signal (bright) filaments of the 1157 bulbs.

The system has a 20-amp on/off toggle switch under the dash so that I can use the lamps with headlights, or not.

Thought as a newcomer that I would share this safety feature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I always love seeing what you do to your car. Great looking car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd be more comfortable with a shoulder harness and a head rest. But that old "get around to it" just seems to always get in the way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like the mods, the issue with the t/s lights has concerned me since I bought the car. First thought mine was broken.:laughing:

Seat belts, wear religiously and even feel a little 'naked' with out the tension of the shoulder strap, headrest, well, I'd really like to get some later Vet seats and stick in there. Yours looks like she came from the factory that way.:thumbsup:

:cheers:

Andy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments on the mods. Here is one. There are more if you would like to see them. I warn you they are not NCRS but very practical. Here is the Home Depot shut-off valve ($15.00) to keep coolant out of the heater core and heat out of the cabin. Works very well.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Great job, I really like the looks of the DRL's on your car.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Splash shields are louvered to direct engine heat under the car rather than at/through the firewall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fire extinguisher

Paul, tell me about the bracket you used for your fire extunguisher on your passenger seat. You have some really nice "improvements" in your car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the mods. Here is one. There are more if you would like to see them. I warn you they are not NCRS but very practical. Here is the Home Depot shut-off valve ($15.00) to keep coolant out of the heater core and heat out of the cabin. Works very well.

This is what I need the first of the summer, my top stays down year round :D

Thanks for the pictures and suggestions,:thumbsup:

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts