Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took delivery of my C3, which has been nicely repainted, but took a long time to do; anyhow, as one can expect, there are one or 2 little problems:
The windscreen washer reservoir has a small leak, which is, as far as I can establish, from between the grommet in the bottom of the tank, and the electric pump.
To be sure, I wanted to remove the reservoir and test this outside the vehicle.
Next: how do you do that without removal of a load of other parts.

I previously purchased the Corvette '81 shopmanual on CD from ZIP. That CD contains 4 pdf files, but only one of these is truly for the corvette.
To be exact, these are the manuals on the CD
=Chevrolet Corvette shopmanual
=chassis manual Impala, Caprice, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Camaro
=Unit repair overhaul series 10-30
=Fisher body service manual, all models except T and X bodies.

However NONE, including the Corvette manual has a procedure to remove the reservoir from the car.

So, it appears that for my very first repair Chevrolet does not provide a procedure to remove the washer tank; it seems all too easy to put this in a manual, but when you really look at it, it is not so obvious.
Hence: who has done this, what needs to be removed to get at it, and would someone know if I perhaps been sent the incorrect CD?

Thanks for reading all this and possibly for your input.

Cor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
You have to break the bonding strips on the front fender. :down:



















:laughing:


Just kidding. :D
There should be an access panel at the bottom of the car behind the wheel well. remove like 3 bolts and the panel will remove. You can then reach up from underneath. At least that's how my '79 is set up. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oeeeeeeeff, you terrified me......:lookinup:

But there is nothing on the bottom to remove, the charcoal cannister(I think ?) is below the jar, but I wonder if removal of that thing is enough, as the jar is so large; I filled it up today, an was able to add about 4-5 liters, so well over one gallon of washerfluid in that jar.
Anyhow, thanks and awaiting more responses for owners of later vehicles,
Cor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,948 Posts
There should be an access panel at the bottom of the car behind the wheel well. remove like 3 bolts and the panel will remove. You can then reach up from underneath. At least that's how my '79 is set up. :cheers:

:agree: That's how I got to mine. I was removing my vapor canister anyway so I did that and then had fairly easy access to the washer tank.

I tend to like things in pairs so when I had mine out I made a minor modification and doubled up on pumps from a Jeep Grand Cherokee washer bottle. I have them wired together so the one switch controls them both, and I have one pump per wiper.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is indeed the same jar, as far as I can see from the bottom of the car and through the airvent in the fender.

I''l give it a go by removing the charcoal cannister and take it from there.
Thanks,
Cor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it fixed, but it's not that straightforward!!

To begin with, there is a flange of about 3/4" wide on the bottom of the inner fender; fortunately, a part had already been removed, because with that flange in situ it is impossible to even remove the charcoal canister; anyhow, now it could.
Then the washer jar; no way with the pump mounted on it; you have to twist and turn, pump facing outside of the car, then break off the little filter inside[ because I did not have a deep socket of the right size=22 mm], then the inside nut can be removed with a 22mm socket on a long extension.
It then became obvious that the jar itself was cracked, just above the pump mounting; clearly this must have been done by the shop, which had recently fitted a new pump unit, and forced it out.

With a lot of wiggling got the jar out, which appeared to be from PP or PE, which does not accept any adhesive; did a test with a 2 component adhesive, which held; Next I did a proper repair with this 2 component adhesive and embedded a small matting of glass fiber.
After hardening, sanded this down and installed the jar again.
Then fitted the filter to the pump again with ABS adhesive, which worked a dream, and ground down the plastic nut from 22 mm to 21 mm , so it had a reasonable tight fit in a large spark plug socket, with the rubber sleeve removed.
Using this on a long extension, I could reinstall the nut to the pump body, and could fit the jar in its original location.
Then replaced a number of vacuum hoses on the charcoal filter to engine and attachments, with new ones, as several were dried out and cracked.
Filled the jar, and all is back to how it should be.

How a 'simple' job can become a challenge!
Anyhow, its done!

Cor
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top