Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C3 aluminum dash/console trim kits anyone tried/seen any?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  scrappy78 
#1 ·
im looking to go with a brushed aluminum kit for my guages/console ect and ive seen SOO many some seem to zero in on the year (78 in my case) and some look like they try to cluster in alot of years together ,cant imagine these fitting real well ..specially around the gauges clock ect..

Has anyone tried or seen one they recommend or ...one they would warn me to avoid :surprised

pics would be great if you have some !

#2 ·
Just my personal opinion, but I have always thought most of those wood and aluminum kits seem like cheap stick ons...well, because their stuck on.

I have seen guys pull and paint the black plastic bezels a very nice aluminum color and it livens things up with a bit more class.

I have also seen a few guys who made bezels out of actual aluminum, but the level of difficulty goes up a lot with the fabrication of pieces like that.

#3 ·
I have a aluminum setup in mine but its for aftermarket gauges if your interested I can show you a picture but it sounds like your wanting something that will fit stock?

#4 ·
sure id love to see some pics ..im not dead set on it fitting the stock setup ..but i want it to looknice enough that it could have come that way ...

alot of the wood kits ive seen do have that ..stuck on look but ive seen a few that were thin enough they looked nice ...i want to go with aluminum because it will go with the stock steering wheel somewhat ..and ive got some ideas on replaceing the lower doorpanel carpet....(god i hate that) with something machined and nice ...or so i think it will be.

but because quality seems to be all over the map on the kits i thought id see what other people have done alone these lines

#5 ·
this is my setup, the factory pieces were used but the backs were cut out and then these aluminum pieces were glued over what was left of the back. the gauges then fit inside theme.

The cool thing is you can get these made easy there flat pieces of aluminum you can get polished or brushed, mine are brush.

they can also be painted or etched the possibly's are endless

Josh at Custom image corvette can get these made for you

#7 ·
Those are nice ..i plan on going with new gauges i need to get with josh when i get rdy to do this even if i find a kit im happy with if he works with custom aluminum i may throw the idea of a custom lower door panel insert for the 78 at him ..im thinking an brushed aluminum panel to replace the carpeted area ...got to find me an old door panel to play with first .

thanks for the pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.