Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on this forum. We just found out about this wonderful world of Corvette, as my 18 year old son just bought himself a 1977 Corvette. It needs some work, but it's amazing what he's done so far.

He's replaced the rotors and pads on all four wheels, and now needs to bleed the lines. I've heard they must be bled in a certain order. Can anyone tell me which ones to do first? And if there are any special tips?

Also, as we were cleaning out the last back one, he was testing the emergency brake cable, and broke it. Is there any easy way to replace it, or anything we should know before we attempt it?

We really appreciate any advice. He's pretty young, and not rich, so he's trying to do as much of the work himself as he can. We are really impressed so far with some local guys who stop by out of the blue, to visit him while he;s in the driveway working on the car. Everyone is so nice and helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

·
Registered
738 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have never paid any attention to the bleeding order, but some guys in here will swear it makes a difference. Just bleed them normally and see where that gets you. As to the park brake cable, which one broke? The back cable is relatively easy to change, there is a double nut adjustment that has to come off then the rest comes out pretty easily. The cable in the handle is a different matter, will require dissasembling most of the center console to get to it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Heya and welcome,

From the haynes manuel (note : many people here do not like these manuals, nor do I as it's to general, but at least I hope they got the sequence right !

Hope it helps,
Nick

1) Remove any residual vacuum from the brake power booster
2) Remove the master cylinder cover and fill the reservoir. Reinstall cover (check fluid level often during bleeding)
3) The full bleeding sequence is as follows :
1968 through 1977 :
Left rear
Right rear
Left front
Right front
1978 through 1982
Left rear inner
Left rear outer
Right rear inner
Right rear outer
Left front
Right front

They also use the technique with a hose over the nipple submerged in a can of brake fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re brake bleeding

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the sequence LR, RR, LF, RF, and see what happens.
I'm sure I'll be here often from now on!
Rob

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Furthest away from MC first, closest last. So, RR, LR, RF, LF for rears first inner then outer (if so equipped)

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
You have to get the rotor runout in spec or better or you'l be bleeding them often. Look up at me sticky post it will help you. Invest in a Motive bleeder worth the $60 USD.

Look up the Trailing arm post in the rear end sticky and you'll find some pic's of the PB. They can be done on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts