Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have most of the fabrication work done and parts fitted. I am ready for the next stage. My car needs a new front clip. Someone attempted to fix it 15 years ago and did a poor job, the fender side is separating front the top and the driverside isn't even attached at the firewall and the door jamb. The guy that tried to fix it used a ton of bondo and did a horrible job. So rather than screw with it, I am just going to get a new one piece clip or a half clip. So here are the questions.

1. where is the best place to get a clip. Ecklers? Vanacor?

2. how do I get the thing off? any suggestions on books? where to cut?

3. I also want to take the body off so I can get the frame cleaned up and powder coated. How do I go about doing this. Anyone have a set of plans for a body stand?

thanks for the help.

P.S. I just moved so I will most likley be doing this by myself.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a two stall but the ceiling is a little low.

Yes I know I spelled it wrong, give me a break it is late. I a mod could fix that it would be great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Due to a limited work area (1/2 of the 2 stall), I found it easier to just lift the body, support it w/4x4 (find the most quartersawn) on 3 stacked cinder blocks w/2x10 sandwiched between them. This allowed the chassis to roll out and get worked on, and is a good height to work on the body without busting your back. Did I mention it saves space?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
2. how do I get the thing off? any suggestions on books? where to cut?
http://www.glas-ra.com/

Get the ones with the spiral binders.....nicer to work with :thumbsup:
I have a set for C3 and C4...........they make nice reference material
and will answer most any question you might have.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Due to a limited work area (1/2 of the 2 stall), I found it easier to just lift the body, support it w/4x4 (find the most quartersawn) on 3 stacked cinder blocks w/2x10 sandwiched between them. This allowed the chassis to roll out and get worked on, and is a good height to work on the body without busting your back. Did I mention it saves space?
That is the exact method that I was talking to my friend about last night. I was going to use 4x4's to get it off of the frame and then I was going to put it on a wood body dolly.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Look before you leap. Are you sure you need new fiberglass? You might be able to rebond what you have.

:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts