Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to buy a 1982 black on black so far no luck in finding one however i have found a 1981 model that is real nice. can anyone offer the pro and cons of each model or their personel exp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the 80-82 body style best of all the sharks. The '80 is the simplest to work on, all old tech. The '81 had a computer controlled carb and distributor that I personally like, but it is a peculiar system and you will need to learn to work on it yourself because no one else will. The '82 had the cross-fire injection and I have not heard a lot of good things about that system. It is certainly not performance oriented. God bless, Sensei

·
Registered
181 Posts
thanks for your input this exactly what i'm looking for!! Real world opinions from people who use them not the people who make a living selling them (come to think of it that would be a good job) so come on forum throw your two cents in on this 80,81,82 which one would you buy and why or why not. this will be my first vette been playing with camaro till now. have great day

·
That creepy old guy
726 Posts
Here's the breakdown on the options of a 1982 and what was offered.

Wheelbase: 98" Track: 58.7" Front / 59.5" Rear Height: 48" Coupe
Length: 185.3" Width: 69" Curb Weight: 3,342 lbs.
Tire Size: P225/70R15 Plant: Bowling Green

The 1982 Corvette was the last of a generation. The body shape dated to 1968 and the chassis to 1963. In honor of the 1982 status, Chevrolet offered a special Collector Edition which was the first Corvette with the base price exceeding $20,000. Production in Bowling Green began in 1981, and 8,995 cars were built that year. The new plant closed in October of 1982 to begin retooling for the 1984 Corvette.

1982 Options:

Code Description Quantity
1YY87 Base Corvette Sport Coupe 18,648
1YY07 Collector Edition Hatchback 6,759
AG9 Power Driver Seat 22,585
AU3 Power Door Locks 23,936
CC1 Removable Glass Roof Panels 14,763
C49 Rear Window Defroster 16,886
DG7 Electric Sport Mirrors 20,301
D84 Two Tone Paint 4,871
FE7 Gymkhana Suspension 5,457
K35 Cruise Control 24,313
N90 Aluminum Wheels (4) 16,884
QGR White Letter Steel Belted Tires P225/70R15 5,932
QXH White Letter Steel Belted Tires P225/60R15 19,070
UL5 Radio Delete 150
UM4 AM/FM Radio Stereo 8 Track 923
UN6 AM/FM Radio Stereo With Cassette 20,355
UN5 AM/FM Radio Stereo With Cassette And CB 1,987
U58 AM-FM Radio Stereo 1,533
U75 Power Antenna 15,557
V08 Heavy Duty Cooling 6,006
V54 Roof Panel Carrier 1,992
YF5 California Emissions Certification 4,951

VIN Numbers: 1G1AY8786C5100001 through 1G1AY8786C5125408

The 6th Digit is a "0" For the Collectors Edition

The 9th Digit is a check code, and varies.

The VIN Tag ending in 00017 was lost and not built.

Suffix:

ZBA: 350ci, 200hp AT ZBN: 350ci, 200hp AT CE
ZBC: 350ci, 200hp AT CE EP

CE=California Emissions, EP=Early Production, MT=Manual Trans, AT=Automatic Trans, AC=Air Conditioning, AH=Aluminum Heads, HA=High Altitude UU=Uncertain Usage

Base Engine: 350ci V8 200hp - No Manual Transmission Was Available This Year.

Hope this helps a little!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks for the info now all i have do is decide which year model i want. i was leaning towards the 82 but i,m a little worried about the cross fire system. i'm going to look at a 81 this weekend. if anyone knows of a black on black or black on gray let me know please. i've been waiting 19 years to own this ride. i've been known to make a impluse buy but i'm wanting to do this right the first time LOL:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Wish you lived closer; I've got an '82 for you. It's not the color combo you want, however.

Just a few bits of advice as you look:
Carefully inspect the frame, particularly just ahead of the rear wheel and just behind the front wheel. I see you're in Arizona, so rust won't be as much of a problem if the car has been local all of its life.
I've learned never to trust a Carfax, so inspect carefully for damage. Look for alignment issues, broken welds on the frame (these cars were only intermittently welded along the frame, not continuous), poorly repaired panels (look at the backside of every panel you can get to), etc.
Like with any car of this vintage, don't expect it to be perfect. Give priority to faults that are the result of poor maintenance, not minor cosmetic flaws. Let's face it, the car is 25+ years old. The seats and carpet will show wear, the weatherstripping may have some cracks, there WILL be some surface rust in places. Do a compression test if the owner will allow it; this is a great way to check out the condition of the engine. Check the operation of all vacuum operated parts; the headlamp pieces are NOT cheap to replace. You could rebuild the engine for less than it costs to replace a couple of headlamp parts.
Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RT why are you letting the 82 go if you don't mind sharing btw thanks for the pionters when shopping. i'm pretty good with regular cars but this will be my first vette endevor. trying to go in with my eyes wide open if you know what i mean.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
The '82 is being sacrificed to serve as a downpayment on a C6 (or, an extremely low miles C5 if something special presents itself). I'm definitely a speed freak and looking for something with more... motivation under the hood. I had originally planned to transplant an LSx engine and 6-speed into the '82, but I figure that I could have a better overall performer with a lot less work by buying a newer one. Besides, that will leave me with more time for mods. :)

While you're looking, it wouldn't hurt to order a catalog from Corvette America and some of the other vendors to take with you. It's nice to be able to evaluate a car not just on its condition, but on how much it will cost to fix any problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
serch is over

:laughing: :laughing: :smack :thumbsup: :crazy: i'm the new owner of a C3 drove it looked over and fell in love with it also drove a a few others but this one had me at word go. 1979 black on black with a very strong 350 in it tranny feels like a serious shift kit too. will post pic's of it soon as i figure out how to post them. woo hoo i own a C3 :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
damn, that is CLEAN! welcome to the family!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys

hey thanks guys can't wait to get her out and show her to the world. why doesn't everyone drive vettes they are the best?:partyon: :laughing:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Sweet ride, enjoy.......

I run the socks off mine, try to drive it every day, even if just for a beer run up the street a mile....

my car is not stock either, none of ours are, I"m not nearly as crazy sophisticated as some of the guys, but I do it as budget and time, and interest allow...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts