Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of guys reworking their original frames and many mods. I was curious if anyone here had one of these SRIII frames under their C3. I did a quick search but didnt see any completed C3s.

I would like to see pics of one with the body on it. Hear any input from what if any problems that were ran into during installation. A few questions I was pondering were the clearance issues for the tires and what if any weight differences in completed form. Then ultimately how it drove.

I know it is a lot of money but the more I calculate the cost of doing this a piece at a time and then still ending up with a 1970s technology frame with modded suspension this looks more and more reasonable. I will sell my solid original frame and suspension hardware that is all pretty low miles since rebuild.

Midyear supertub, ZR1 Spyders, 345's and Baer 14" brakes

Carbon fiber halfshafts and a Dana 44

·
Registered
203 Posts
From that angle, it looks like the storage compartments/battery box will have a few issues.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
no personal experience here, but the thing I've never understood about that frame is the upper A-arm mount. It's just a flat plate mounted vertically on that tubing. Seems like it would be ASKING for a lot of stress at that weld on any sort of hard cornering with tires that wide :crazy:

If you do end up with one of those chassis we'd love to see pics of the body drop :D

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From that angle, it looks like the storage compartments/battery box will have a few issues.
It does look that way. I was thinking the wheel wells would have to be reconstructed as well. Then the header situation. Weldup kit? Building headers is not the easiest or fastest thing to do. Especially if you want them to look decent.

no personal experience here, but the thing I've never understood about that frame is the upper A-arm mount. It's just a flat plate mounted vertically on that tubing. Seems like it would be ASKING for a lot of stress at that weld on any sort of hard cornering with tires that wide :crazy:

If you do end up with one of those chassis we'd love to see pics of the body drop :D
I cant really tell I would think it would have gussets on each end at least. I wouldn't like it either with just a vertical piece with no support either. This is the type of reason I asked about it. I wanted to see if there were issues I wouldn't hear of when I call them.

Oh definitely there will be pics IF I go through with it. I am going to call them soon. But it will be June before I could do anything.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong. It will require more work and probably a lot more massaging then you think. As with any aftermarket part NOTHING is a direct bolt-on. I'm sure your suspension, drivetrain, and tire/wheel package will determine how much fiberglass you have to cut. I wouldn't worry too much about those a-arm mounts. It seems to be the norm for all the aftermarket frame companies.

I've put a '67 body on a Street Shop frame, and it wasn't too bad. The owner of the car had no idea how much fiberglass would have to be cut though, so make sure you ask the right questions when you talk to them. In addition to cutting out the deep floor in the rear and tubbing the rear which he didn't expect, we also had to cut the whole transmission tunnel and raise it 1" which none of us were expecting.

I think the SRiii frame is one of the best looking aftermarket frame out there. Do a search over at CF.com for member 78Vette-SA. He's done a LS/SRiii swap on an '81 :smokin:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SuprJames I found it and it appears to be for sale for a measly $50,000 Includes a CD of all the build photos from Day 1. :laughing:

Very nice ride. However I also see where he was asked what it weighed.
All-in with a tank of gas it came in at 3120.
I presume "All-in" is with a minimum of a driver? This was one area I was really hoping would be much better. Must be mild steel.

I did get a better look at the a-arm mounts in his photos. They are supported it appears with the upper coil over mount.

As far as asking the right questions why do you think I brought this up here? :rolling: I wanted to hear from you and anyone else that might have ideas or suggestions. I plan to compile a list before I call. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooJnirOTbw#

I wonder why no one brought this up when the topic of a C3 being able to run with a C6 was being thrown around. :devil:

One question SuprJames why haven't you put one under your car? I was wondering this about KAOS and Mistress as well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks SuprJames I found it and it appears to be for sale for a measly $50,000 Includes a CD of all the build photos from Day 1. :laughing:
That's a pretty fair price actually. Other then the paint job and interior, there is not much else on the car I would've done differently. OK, maybe the brakes too.

As for it weighing 3,120, I know at least 90 lb. of that is supercharger. He also has a pretty large speaker system complete with sub and box if I remember right. Wouldn't take much to get it below 3,000 lb.

As far as asking the right questions why do you think I brought this up here? :rolling: I wanted to hear from you and anyone else that might have ideas or suggestions. I plan to compile a list before I call. :D
Just know what you want to do with the car and what suspension, drivetrain, rear end, and brakes you want to use. I'm sure these guys can setup the chassis for just about anything you'd like. If your not afraid to cut the battery/package tray and do a tub, then cutting away more fiberglass then that probably isn't a concern either. I'd also ask how much it would cost to coat/paint the frame by them vs. yourself.

Also know exactly what it comes with. Fuel lines, gas tank, gas pump, brake lines, rack and pinion, etc.

I wonder why no one brought this up when the topic of a C3 being able to run with a C6 was being thrown around. :devil:

One question SuprJames why haven't you put one under your car? I was wondering this about KAOS and Mistress as well.
It was brought up. In fact, one of the guys that work at Street Shop posted some pics of their frame with a LS9 sitting in it and mentioned their C2 cars weight well below 3,000 lb. when completely built.

I'm not going to speak for Kaos (Killer when it was originally built) or the Mistress, but for my build at the time I just couldn't justify the cost. By the time I had sandblasted, gusseted, seam welded, and painted the frame, I was still nowhere near the cost of the bare frame. With all the upgraded suspension components, 6/4 piston Wilwood brakes, SS lines, rebuilt rear, new everything, and semi coilovers I probably had a little north of what the bare frame costs. Even though the built frame starts at $13,000, I'm sure that with the upgrades I would've wanted the price would've jumped 4-5K. If I'd had the contacts and knowledge then that I have now, I probably would've gone with a bare frame set up for a C5/6 drivetrain and collected the parts myself. I'm really happy with the way my car turned out though, so no regrets here.

·
Registered
636 Posts

I know it is a lot of money but the more I calculate the cost of doing this a piece at a time and then still ending up with a 1970s technology frame with modded suspension this looks more and more reasonable. ............

My 60's technology frame didn't require any bodywork cutting. And the car (with a quarter tank of fuel and leather interior) comes in at 2900 pounds.

(Don't paint with a broad brush.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was able to use my c-3 frame to adapt c-4 suspension and I'm very happy with it!
It does not handle like 70's technology.
I guess it's mainly about money for most,(Myself included)but I wanted to build it on my own with my own fab work and input.
I admit there are some beautiful frames out there,but to me they are someone elses baby.
It would be sweet to build one of them up,but I can't justify it on my budget either.
(I have considered going to a tube chassis but I would want to build my own.)It would be never ending for me if I let it!:laughing: ( I actually plan to finnish it someday!):laughing:

That SRIII is a sweet frame that would be a nice base for a killer machine if one has deep pockets and the drive to see it through!:thumbsup::cheers:

·
Registered
552 Posts
To me the catch 22 of those beautiful aftermarket frames is the car still needs a full cage for even casual competition, and from a structural standpoint the cage nullifies a lot of the justification.

But then again, if you just gotta be at the top of the food chain, one of those frames will take ya there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have thought seriously about both Street Shop and SRIII frames. Kaos already has all the goodies/mods on the frame so it would not be cost effective at this point in time. Starting from a scratch basic frame that needs restored and then adding all the performance goodies then HELL YES!!! I go the aftermarket route.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at the
(basic frame).............$6,800
And was considering collecting the parts myself as SuprJames said if he had gone this route. I have built several complete drag cars over the years with friends. None were street legal but as far as the work cutting and fabing it shouldnt be a problem.

I must have missed or forgot :crazy: about using these frames in the topic of a C3 being able to run with a C6. I havent read it in some time now. Ill reread it.

I am now more concerned with just the idea of cutting up my car. I know 76' is not a chrome bumper car but my car other than the exhaust is a pretty solid really close to original car. The battery tray, bird cage, and original frame are in exceptional condition. It was a garage kept from Cali car until I bought it. I just dont know if this car is the one to do something like this too. Starting to think a donor car might be better to do a project like this with.

I didnt mean to offend anyone on using the original frame as obviously I have one. :D I just see so many posts here with every combination possible and some ideas I never thought of trying to improve them. Or well the suspension in most cases. Possibly I should start putting a pencil to it and see just where It ends up cost wise. Ultimately that will be the deciding factor.

I totally understand the someone else's work on my car theory as I said I have built several of my own drag cars. And the wanting to finish it someday was another reason I was leaning this way. For me to build my own would probably add a year to building it. They already have the dimensions worked out (not sure about order to delivery time for them though).

As far as competition and needing a cage. I have had my fun and dont think I will ever be on a track other than to get to the other side. :D This car is about my final toy. I just wanted to do one up really nice, not to out do anyone, but more to just have one really nice ride. It was just about me having a really nice ultra light, nimble, great handling, quick car. I have the old school attitude. I do not like posers. I think this is why many of the cars here are great cars. Most actually run as good as they look.

As far as the cars I wondered why did not get one the answers were pretty much spot on what I thought. I can totally understand once your so far down a road its not very cost effective to start over. :smack

I really appreciate all the great input. It really has me thinking. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
No offense here brother!:cheers:Sounds like you are on the same page as most of us.
I think we are just saying that it all still works.(No matter how you go about it)
It really is a question of where to draw the line.I think most of the guy's are happy with the results of their work here,no matter what path they went.It's a lot to consider but you are doing it rite.Must have a game plan that fits what YOU want!:thumbsup::cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am just starting on a c-4 suspension swap on my 72. I been collecting parts to do the swap for almost seven years and finally am rounding up the last pieces (wheels) so I can start on the project. I am using 18" wheels and 335/30's on the rear and 275/35's on the front. I want them tucked under the car without flares or not much of ones. I bought the front and rear suspension (dana 44 rear) for 800 bucks, 800 in the new tires, 2,200 for the wheels and 300 for another used frame, I want to build the frame then swap everything over when its done so the car isnt off the road as long. My complaint with the car is I dont like the handling and the steering and this looked like a good way to upgrade getting a stronger rear end, lighter components and bigger brakes with rack and pinion steering. There has been a ton of stuff come out the past several years for the c-3's and I been wondering if I should just go that route instead of the c-4 conversion but in the end I decided to keep going with the swap. I looked at an sr3 frame but didnt really have the cash to do that so I decided to build it myself, besides working on the car is fun and therapeutic for me and where I have the extra frame, if it takes me a couple of winters to finish it then no big deal anyway. My goal is to end up with a basically stock bodied looking classic car that is fast, reliable, knocks down some decent mileage on the road and is fun to drive. A nice street cruiser, which sounds like what you are after with your car too Altered. As far as keeping up with a c-6, its pretty tough to beat millions of dollars worth of r&d and years of technological advances.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have been debating between the SRIII and the usual C3 chassis upgrades. I want to compare Ivan's setup vs someone with the SRIII. The cost for the SRIII is a little higher (assuming I sell the current rolling chassis, buy the frame and find a donor C4 to pillage suspension, diff and steering for cheap) but I dont know if the extra cost is justified by increased performance.

It would look cool though. :partyon:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but I am in the same position as the OP now. Thinking about completely revamping my 69 vette with a LS7/ T56 combo and SRIII frame. Finding builds documented on the interweb is very hard. I know 78Vette-SA did one but that is about the only one I can find. So I was hoping that within the last few years since this thread was started, there may be more information about it out now..

OP- did you ever go thru with the SR3?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts