Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right hand headlight took it's sweet @#$ time coming up two nights ago. :WTF :surprised tonight it took even longer to come up and it takes longer than the left to go down. where should i start looking to fix this before it quits all together. the night before this started would it snapped up with a bang and would go down slightly slower than the left. any help with this will be most welcomed.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Try this. Switch hoses on the relays. Move the left actuator hoses to the right relay, and visa versa. If it is still the right one, it is usually the actuator seal. If it moves sides, it's the relay.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Try this. Switch hoses on the relays. Move the left actuator hoses to the right relay, and visa versa. If it is still the right one, it is usually the actuator seal. If it moves sides, it's the relay.
:agree: i diagnosed mine this way. and a hand held vacume pump is also very handy in testing the actuators. apply vacume to each side of the actuator and see if it will hold it. if it leaks on the front it the seals can be replaced,if it leaks on the back you have to replace the actuator :thud:
Kevin

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plot thickens on head light problem

when i bought the car the shop was suppose to fix the slow headlights when i picked it up they worked fine. tonight i went out to work on it and discovered they put T-fittings on the left hand relay and tied both side together:WTF So now i need to check the actuator. and before anyone says take it back and have them fix it the right way. I will not let them touch this poor car again i have found too many coat hanger and duct tape fixes that i can directly trace back to them. for any one interested thier name is in my pictures. So anyway back on track here. how much vacum should the actuator hold and for how long? thanks for your straight foward help guys.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great thanks for the answer. as soon as i find my vacum gun i will test the actuator but it looks like i need aleast one relay. where can i find information for chamging the seal on the actuator.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
great thanks for the answer. as soon as i find my vacum gun i will test the actuator but it looks like i need aleast one relay. where can i find information for chamging the seal on the actuator.
Get a NOS GM relay. The repops are crap. I believe Rik's still has them. As for the seal, it's pretty straight forward. Instructions are with the seal. Buy from a good source like Doc Rebuild. Lot's of crap out there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
B2B do you have a good link for doc's rebuild or rik's? i'm still fairly new to the vette family and haven't built up a good list of quality parts supplier for my weekend hobbie. i do have a Eckler's catalogue but could allways use more parts resorces.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
http://www.docrebuild.com/
Doc has only good stuff. You must order by phone. Have CC# and part# ready.

http://www.riksvet.com/
Rik's is the cheapest I have found for generic items. (IE, price the same repop at different stores, Rik's is usually the lowest).

I bought a hood release cable at Rik's. Lasted 1 week. Bought 1 at Docs, still on the car.
Morale of the story, ya gets what ya pays for.
Do your homework.:thumbsup:

PM me anytime questions of known trash.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well put the vacum gun on the actuator the front side isn't holding any vacum at all. So i need a seal i guess. Now i have to find a seal and a book that gives me instructions on how to do this job. Can't wait to start this project another mechanical challenge to add to my skills :laughing:
Is the part number A8263 in the Eckklers catalogue the one i'm looking for?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well put the vacum gun on the actuator the front side isn't holding any vacum at all. So i need a seal i guess. Now i have to find a seal and a book that gives me instructions on how to do this job. Can't wait to start this project another mechanical challenge to add to my skills :laughing:
Is the part number A8263 in the Eckklers catalogue the one i'm looking for?
Frankly, just about everything I have ever bought from Ecklers I have returned. I would not buy a Corvette toe nail clipper from them.:laughing:

·
Registered
43 Posts
C3 Headlight problem

Thanks all of you!
This info. may help me with a problem on my car that is beginning to occur.
John:thumbsup:

Scottie ,C3 Vert in Spain.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
problem fixed found rebuilt actuator for $50 installed it everything working great now i need a rebuild kit for my old one and i will have a good spare one. My spare corvette parts bin is starting to get full LOL. Thanks for all the help Guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts