Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion on bulb replacment for the C3? I have been using old Wagner H5006's for low beams. One has burned out and when I went to my local parts store I found that the replacement no longer has the nipple on the back to feed my fiber optic line. I can try one of the newer (i.e. cheap) bulbs and see if it puts out the required light in the back, but I am also curious about modernizing the bulbs. If I went with one of the new "diamond cut - increased output" halogens that are "supposed" to be direct plug-and-play replacements, will this again defeat my fiber optic system? Any options would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ttt?

Hello Big2bird:
Sorry, I don't know what Ttt means. How are things in Anaheim? I used to run down there to buy parts at Coast, but now I go to JD since its closer. I bought some standard replacement bulbs at Napa (H5006, 5001) because they still have the glass nipple on the back that works well with my fiber system. I went to auto zone, but they sell wagners that now have a hole they simply seal with glue, and I don't think it will provide the same degree of backlight.

I was curious about any new developments in headlights that could be a replacement for the round style. I've done some searches online, and seen some sites that offer what look like could be replacements, but there are harness and voltage issues, and I can't even imagine they would feed my optic system.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hella, Cibie, or even aircraft landing lights (my favorite). I tried the Autozone "reflector" beams with H-4 bulbs and was so unimpressed with the beam they threw I returned them and put the old Sylvanias back in (but with one aircraft bulb).
It seems to me I have heard of guys siliconing the optic cable to the back of the bulb, but since I don't have that set up I don't know if that's BS or not.
Most any upgrade of headlights will require an upgrade of the electrics to them, but it's not that hard. I don't have time to find links right now, but look up "MAD Electrical" to start.

John

PS: 'TTT' (or 'bump') means 'to the top'--to get your thread back to the top of the list so more people will see it again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts