745 Posts
Thats why i went with the L-88 setup i hate vacuum

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ok, ummmm..... How about

VACUUM SUX!

Which is why I installed electric headlight motors :thumbsup:
:agree: - Killer Lights conversion going in my '69. I already have all the parts stock piled in the garage. I'm eliminating the vacuum wiper door as well and plan to use a 12v linear actuator to control it.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
:agree: - Killer Lights conversion...
Same setup I used. It's a pretty straight foward conversion but gimme a yell if you get stuck anywhere.

One thing I did do, which I think makes it look neater, was when I was making up the harness I opened up the plugs that came with the control module and removed the wires cut from the original loom. I then carefully removed the original end connectors and soldered them onto the loom I made up then re-assembled the plugs. That way there's no pig tails or in-line splices anywhere.

Oh, when you get them working, DON'T have your fingers anywhere near them when you close them :surprised

Just my

·
Registered
738 Posts
Come on now, I like the vac system.Seems to work ok for me

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have no vacuum so my lights didn't work nor did the brake booster.

If your break booster and lights still work you need a bigger cam :laughing:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I do like them. I had a 77 L82 that nothing worked on when I got it, weekend fixing 15 yr old hoses and a was goo. On the 81 I am useing all the vac system except the brakes and the only reason I am not useing them is because I can do hydroboost.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
speaking of big cam's and brake boosters im not sure if my new motor is going to give problems in that area.tell what you think the cam is a Howards hyd roller [email protected]" 230 in/ 230 ex. valve lift .510" in/.510" ex. 108 lobe center.
do you think that will cause problems.

Yellow73sb dont you have a hydrobooster connection?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yep, I had to switch to hydraboost and I'm very happy I did

To give you an idea I'm using a .550/.550 with 236* duration on both but I don't really remember. I want to say 110* LSA but im not 100% sure. Not really a super big cam.

·
Banned
125 Posts
A vacuum system in good shape works great.Some guys don't understand how they work and get frustrated when they can't get them to work right.Changovers are not proven long term and will lower the value of your car for resale.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
798 Posts
A vacuum system in good shape works great.Some guys don't understand how they work and get frustrated when they can't get them to work right.Changovers are not proven long term and will lower the value of your car for resale.:thumbsup:
my resale will also be reduced because of my steeroids conversion, hooker sidepipes, Dewitts aluminum radiator, TTIIs, Keisler 5spd, smart struts, fiberglass rear spring, etc..., etc..., etc...

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
A vacuum system in good shape works great.
A vacuum system in **** shape does not work great.

Some guys don't understand how they work and get frustrated when they can't get them to work right.
Some guys understand how they work but get frustrated when they see the cost of replacing the parts in the outdated system to get them to work right.

Changovers are not proven long term...
Huh? Electric motors won't last as long? Even if they don't, the motors are a fraction of the price of the vacuum components!

...and will lower the value of your car for resale.:thumbsup:
I'm gonna be buried in mine anyway :smack

VACUUM SUCKS
:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Let's talk replacing sealed beams with clear glass lenses and replacable H4 bulbs... any experiences?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I got them as part of my rebuild, look pretty good but I haven't run them yet

1 - 20 of 24 Posts