Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got specs photos of a C3 manual 4 speed trans.? Please send it to me.
I want to ascertain if there is a screen filter that can be cleaned and want to
make sure I replace everything correctly. Also whether a manual needs
new fluid,etc.and the easiest correct method of installing the clutch assembly. This is a first for me, I appreciate your help.Thanks.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Your car should have a Muncie, probably a M-20 wide ratio. There is no filter in it and it uses 90 wt gear oil. If you have access to parts there you can pull the side cover off and take a look. The brass rings are the syncros and the teeth should be pointed sharp. If you see a lot of broken or rolled teeth on them you should replace them. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the large teeth on the main shaft, countershaft but the small teeth on the gears and rings.
There are many places here that sell overhaul kits. I would use a rebuilder rather then any of the catalogs as they only resell them and mark them up.
If it's your first time then I would get the video 5speeds.com sells it will help you through the whole job.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:agree:

Mark, if the trans was shifting ok, not making any unusual noises, just put a new seal in the rear, change the oil and drive on. As far as the clutch goes, it just needs to be aligned with the pilot bushing when you install it. If you don't have a pilot shaft, use the trans. WIthout the bellhousing installed, install the clutch on the flywheel with the hub to the rear, (a new clutch is normally marked "flywheel side") leave the pressure plate a little loose. Then pickup the trans and stab it in thru the clutch disc and make sure it goes into the pilot bushing as far as it will go. Tighten the pressure plate bolts, pull the tranny, install the bellhousing and T/O bearing and drive on. Sort of a long process and things are heavy, but it can be done. I've had fair luck just eyeballing the alignment, but it's not my first rodeo either- not recommended unless you've seen what it's supposed to look like and done it a few times.

:cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts