Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penske told me the 'vette might have an issue pulling on to their car carrier trailer due to clearance issues. Anyone ever used a Penske trailer to transport their 'vette? I've used the U-haul trailer twice without any issues. Would the Penske be any different?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
They say that for liability. Uhaul also says they won't rent you a car hauler trailer if you're driving a Ford Explorer.

I think because there are so many variables with a custom car like a Corvette that someone's might fit and someone else's would not that they just can't give it a gray area.

It's easier for them to just say no, than to say yours might but the next guy's won't.

I personally think, if you got onto a Uhaul trailer, it will be no different with a Penske trailer.

Short wood boards help with the approach angle if you think you're going to scrape.

Also, I see in the pic of the Vette on the Uhaul trailer that the majority of your weight is past the trailer and way out over the tongue. I'm sure it rode fine but ideally you want to have that weight as close to over the tandems as you can. It keeps it more stable and keeps it from wandering on you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kinda off topic...

When I bought my car we had planned to borrow or rent a trailer to transport the car the 500 miles or so home. But Opel refused to let us rent one of their trailers because they had tried to transport a c3 before but they claimed it was to wide and the owner had to drive it home. The only other place who rents out trailers around where I live had managed to get both their trailers collision damaged by one customer. My father ended up driving the car home without any problems. after he drove the car home, I checked the dimensions of the car and it was actually narrower than many of the normal Opels on the roads here in Europe. I can`t really explain why it wasn`t supposed to fit on that trailer.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I see in the pic of the Vette on the Uhaul trailer that the majority of your weight is past the trailer and way out over the tongue. I'm sure it rode fine but ideally you want to have that weight as close to over the tandems as you can. It keeps it more stable and keeps it from wandering on you.
That's one downside of these rental trailers. They're designed to make you pull the front wheel up against the front of the trailer and then loop a strap over the front tires. No opportunity to adjust the position of the load. All the weight over the axle is also too far back. Need some appreciable tongue weight to keep the ass end from wandering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts