Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Denis from Orlando, FL. Bought a 69 small block 4 speed with 4:11 gears 6 yrs ago having around 90K miles. This is my 1st corvette. Don't know any detailed history. I could hear a whining from the rear knowing it needed so work. Maybe drive about 500miles per yr. Whining seem to be getting a little worse over time. A few weeks ago for the first time I heard a Klunk in the rear when making a turn. Figured it was time to rebuild the Trailing arms. Jacked the rear and did the 12 to 6 o'clock wobble and there was about 1/8" + play. So, removed the trailing arms this weekend and sending to Van Steel for rebuild. Funny all 4 rotors have the rivets still there. Rubber bushings have dry rot but surprisingly still pretty solid. Now for the diff. question. After removing the arms, I grabbed the half shafts and noticed there is end play in both side yokes. Pulling them does make a Klunk noise. I do not have a dial indicator so I did the best I could with feeler gauge measuring around 0.045-0.050 end play. In my brief description, while I'm in the middle of a rear end rebuild, should I go ahead and have the differential rebuilt? If so, I would like a quality rebuild (only want to do this once)
Thank You in advance for any input!!!
Denis

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,038 Posts
Welcome to DC. You really need to talk to Gary - user name "gtr1999" if he doesn't chime in you might want to PM him. He is a master at these rear ends and you won't find anyone better

·
Supporting Vendor
3,792 Posts
Denis
I just saw this thread and your question.
A whine is usually gears or pinion bearings. A lot depends if the diff was ever worked on in the recent past. DO NOT send it for an exchange diff, rebuild what you have unless it is totally worn out with a cracked posi case. It is impossible to be able to tell you what your issue is without a thorough inspection.
411 gears can be original GM gears which would use a 4 series posi case or US Gears made thick for a 3 series posi case. If it's 100% original it will have the GM 411 and 4 series posi.
A whine, clunk, and access endplay as you have is enough to remove the diff for inspection.
I advise you to do your homework very carefully there are some good rebuilders out there and a lot of bad ones. The bad ones will tell you everything you want to hear to get your money. One thing is for sure, no one builds them like I do. Some claim to but don't, others just build a stock vendor level build- no attention to detail, done fast, known issues ignored, done within a week or a year, about $850 less shipping and less a lot of things.
Good luck, if you have any questions email me directly and I will be happy to help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts