Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 79 back from paint and the drivers (elec) window would not go down all the way. Short story, it was caught on the mirror cable and a wire harness. Somewhere on this site I found there is an access panel on the hinge end of the door, inside find two holes for looping the remote control out and back in. ( Thanks to whoever wrote it, I did not mark it down.) I used mechanical fingers and string to untangle the harness and cable (pulled cable backward) and then to pull the cable near the first hole so I could grab it. ( I knew GM had to have a system but what was it?) After that it was back through the inside hole and out the opening for the door panel. The glass goes all the way down now, the mirror doesn't try to move when lowering it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Don't you just love this forum...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Yep love it. Great for both getting information, and sharing it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Purchase the 79 assembly instruction manual (AIM). It shows the mirror mounting and the routing of the cable inside the door to avoid the door glass.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C3 remote mirror repair

I have an assembly manual, GM manual and several others. It is not always easy to find exactly what you want in them. Sometimes I can read a forum message and go back and find it in the manual. (Either different nomenclature or part of something I did not think of.) What I have found is the more intel you have the easier the fix. I am not a trained mechanic but have done the work so every bit of info helps. If I find an easier way I'll share it. I also appreciate the available info in making some decisions on whether or not to purchase something or have work done by a pro, like my recent paint job. Keeping these old cars alive is rewarding and sometimes challenging. I love my vette.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I have an assembly manual, GM manual and several others. It is not always easy to find exactly what you want in them...
True, but the more you thumb through them, the more familiar with them you become. I almost have my 68 AIM memorized.

:laughing:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C3 remote mirror repair

Thats how it usually works. The more familiar you are with the manual the easier it is to find what you need. I've only just started accumulating repair manuals. I have the 79 AIM, GM Shop Manual, Haynes and Chilton's. All have had something I've been able to use. It's too cold most days right now so I'm ordering parts for Spring. I just want to have fun this Summer. I purchased this car for my retirement toy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts