Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 77 has newer style seat shells. How do I know what foam to get in doing a re-upholster job. If you try and figure out the catalogues, there is only one clam size and the foam/covers are 2 " or 4". CA says as long as you make covers to match the foam you'll be OK. Well my clams don't like 4" bolster - they don't seem to be able to fit or bend forward.

Therefiore one would think there is a clam designed for the 4" bolster and one for the two inch. Anyone got any advice?

Is perhaps the Pace 78 clam different than the rest?:WTF

Thanks

Trapper 77

Attachments

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
My 77 has newer style seat shells. How do I know what foam to get in doing a re-upholster job. If you try and figure out the catalogues, there is only one clam size and the foam/covers are 2 " or 4". CA says as long as you make covers to match the foam you'll be OK. Well my clams don't like 4" bolster - they don't seem to be able to fit or bend forward.

Therefiore one would think there is a clam designed for the 4" bolster and one for the two inch. Anyone got any advice?

Is perhaps the Pace 78 clam different than the rest?:WTF

Thanks

Trapper 77

Can you post some pics of your seats please?

Visually it'll be easy to tell what kind of seats you have.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Weird. I recently put 79-82 seats in my '71. I had CA make me 4" covers & foam. Fit fine and the seats fold forward like they should.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

The bolsters on Pace Cars may be 2"; almost everything else is 4". Measure your existing bolsters.

If you are purchasing new foam, buy 4" and order 4" upholstery.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clam vs Foam

That is what I thought as well. So are you saying that all clams will take the 4" or 2" foam, except maybe the 78 Pace or Collector edition. Your thoughts.:huh:

Thanks

Trapper 77

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If you are replacing foam and upholstery, what it had makes no difference unless you are wanting to stay original. Order 4" foam and 4" seat covers.

The Pace Car folks can chime in, but I think the Pace Car shells will take 4" foam. The problem is replacement PC upholstery may be available only in 2" if you are wanting to stay with PC silver.

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts