Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with converting the manual lock and latch mechanism on the C3 vette to a electric/solenoid/actuator/keyless entry styled system?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes. Did it on my 72. I left the door handles as stock. Just added the door lock solenoid to each door's lock linkage. Then I controlled them like Gm does their power locks. I used a Radio Shack car alarm with keyless entry to control the lock and unlock relays. I think it was around $200 then for me to do it. J. C. Whitney has cheaper lock solenoids then what I used. Keyless only modules from them is at most $39. I didn't catch the year of your car but if you go with the alarm option don't hook up the voltage sense part of the alarm on the older C-3's because when the clock rewinds it pulls enough current to trip the voltage sense.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Read the rest of your post. I think you could add lock solenoids to the door handle. Then you could pop the doors with a keyless lock module. Haven't did this to mine however.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you remember how many lb. pull you have on your solenoids? I've heard anything less than 35 or 50 and you'll be replacing them in less than a year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can't remember the lbs. pull for the solenoid itself. The lock mechanism for the doors did have to be reworked. The control rods have rubber anti-rattle cushions around the rods in a couple of areas that I did shave down to lessen the drag that they made. To make the solenoids release the door catches, I don't have a clue on the pull these rods have. I can't see why it would be excessive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts