Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions. Got what appears to be an original space saver spare, currently flat but looks (lets say) normal. Even if it holds air, would I use it after 24 years. I don't want to ask the tire dealer who, naturally would prefer I replace it. I also wouldn't want to have it tear apart on the first rotation if I needed it.
Whatcha think about this!
Thanks,
g

·
Registered
435 Posts
Personally, if your like driving your car, and think you might get caught with a flat tire, I'd replace it. Pending on how original your car is, you could keep it for later on (show/resale). If you do, make sure it matches your current tire diameter your running (i.e. your tires may be larger than the OEM).

JMHO.

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Just ask yourself this. If you get a flat, would you want to replace it with the spare jus tto have that go flat a mile later?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I forget the source now, but the other day I was reading that tire manufacturer research is showing that "new" tires aged 6 years or more can fail unexpectedly. I assume this is due to oxidative damage to the rubber compounds but then again it could be a way to sell more tires....

steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beleive it or not.I've seen some of those go for some silly money on ebay:crazy: NCRS guys I guess.I ment that in the good way:D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else on this one. How are the tires you have now? Reason? If you need to replace the ones you have now, why not keep the best of the four and use that for the spare and toss the old one. Like I read before, you don't want something to happen, then put on the old spare and have it go out a mile down the road too! I have to agree on that statement.
Good thing is, the tires for the C3's are not that hard to replace, cost wise and comparatively speaking...so better spend the money on a good spare rather than a good tow company.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all

Thanks to all. I'll shop around for a spare this weekend.

I did happen to see that original 82 spare and rim on e-bay for $125. Hooolie, says I, that's just what I'm lookin' to replace! :crazy:

Off to the tire store...
Thanks,
g

·
Registered
230 Posts
what about buying a can of that "inflate and seal" stuff from your auto parts store instead?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts