Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased '74 C-3, L-82, 4 sp convert....owners manual says 20 psi on tires...this CANNOT be right !! ??

Help ...

Bill C

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bill, that is the suggested pressure for the front, and 28 would be the suggested pressure for the rear. After the big gas crisis in the mid to late 70s, GM suggested something like 33 rear and 25 front, but still listed an alternative pressure or "optional pressure" of 20 front and 28 rear. The higher pressure saved a little fuel on the interstate, but the L-82 option which came with the 255 60r 15s was designed to run with 20 and 28 psi.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
I think i'm gonna start running lower pressures to soften the ride from the high rate springs. But 20 seems too low. The tire might look like its going flat.

I'm going to try 20 all around as an experiment.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Bill, that is the suggested pressure for the front, and 28 would be the suggested pressure for the rear. After the big gas crisis in the mid to late 70s, GM suggested something like 33 rear and 25 front, but still listed an alternative pressure or "optional pressure" of 20 front and 28 rear. The higher pressure saved a little fuel on the interstate, but the L-82 option which came with the 255 60r 15s was designed to run with 20 and 28 psi.
That might work on "Bias Ply" tires, but with todays radials, I doubt they would give those #s.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If you want the tires to last, inflate them to the pressure on the sidewall. For maximum performance of the car, inflate them to owners' manual specs. But as others have said here- your car came with bias ply tires and radials are different. In that light, I'd inflate to the tire manufacturers' specs.

:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts