Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around to see if anyone has put an electric speedo, or a C4 instrument cluster in their C3.I just did the 700r4 swap and it uses an electric speedo, where obviously the vette come with a manual cable type speedo. I took it in to a tranny mechanic to see if I could just swap gears and housing to a cable driven set up, but according to him I would have to pull the tranny, change the output shaft and tail housing just to accommodate the early style speedo. Any input is welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
not sure of your set up but I'd look closely at the dimensions of the sensor. if inside your trans is a plastic helical gear then you should be able to swap in a sensor from a newer model..

here's the real problem. C4 sensors for anything but an auto with less than 3.XX gearing are hard as heck to find.. but if you do you will need to pay attention to the correct gear (colors) and ratio of the sensor. the 700 R4 and the 4+3 have the same size sensor hole oputer diameter and depth.

The new sensors are PMG type. You could look at dakota digital for some other options.

Unless you plan on moving up to the 91+ model of C-4 dash -- IMHO stay away from our atari digital dash.. they are reliable when working but are becomeing more scarce and repair shops are fading away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure of your set up but I'd look closely at the dimensions of the sensor. if inside your trans is a plastic helical gear then you should be able to swap in a sensor from a newer model..

here's the real problem. C4 sensors for anything but an auto with less than 3.XX gearing are hard as heck to find.. but if you do you will need to pay attention to the correct gear (colors) and ratio of the sensor. the 700 R4 and the 4+3 have the same size sensor hole oputer diameter and depth.

The new sensors are PMG type. You could look at dakota digital for some other options.

Unless you plan on moving up to the 91+ model of C-4 dash -- IMHO stay away from our atari digital dash.. they are reliable when working but are becomeing more scarce and repair shops are fading away.
Yeah, its a plastic gear... Im running 3:36...is that gonna be OK? what is "PMG"?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can buy a Cable-X box that takes the electronic signal from the trans and drives a mechanical speedo cable. Search on Cable-X and you will find all the info that you will need.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You can buy a Cable-X box that takes the electronic signal from the trans and drives a mechanical speedo cable. Search on Cable-X and you will find all the info that you will need.

:cheers:

Rick B.
:agree: That's the way to go unless you want an electric speedo, at that point I'd buy the one I wanted and get a Dakota digital converter box to control it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
call me crazy but im going to attempt a 2001 Fbody cluster for the ls1/t56 i swapped in :) should be easier than trying to figure out a way to go electric-->mechanical :D

either way, keep us updated on the route you take :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
call me crazy but im going to attempt a 2001 Fbody cluster for the ls1/t56 i swapped in :) should be easier than trying to figure out a way to go electric-->mechanical :D

either way, keep us updated on the route you take :)
Keep us posted on your swap as well. I looked into the cable x set up, but if I'm gonna spend 400 :WTF :nuts: big ones on something, it needs to have a dramatic effect on something in the car. So to anyone with any kind of custom gauge set up, please give some info and post some pics!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I converted my speedo to electric when I did my LS conversion. Didn't like the cable drive boxes or other options out there so I just stripped the speedo apart, then installed an electric drive.

The conversion was pretty easy & I programmed the LS's PCM to output the correct number of pulses per mile to display accurately on my factory speedometer face.

I have a thread with the conversion on here somewhere. Will post if I find it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts