Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a guy who have an LT1 for sale for a good price. What are some of the issues I would face by putting that engine into 1981 C3 vette?
It is a price that I really cannot refuse. I believe it is a mid 90's version... but not sure.
Bill R.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Heck yeah I've seen a lot of C-3 Lt1 conversions. That's what I want to do to my '79 If I keep it... So I look aound and finally locate a fresh Lt1 and 700 trans and buy them... only trouble is they came in a nice C-4...:D

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I was at a car show this weekend.. A guy put one in a 58 Chevy ragtop!

But, there are probably pleanty of guys on the board that have done it.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I would do it ONLY if I could remachine the intake for a normal computer HEI, and ditch that opti spark crap where it belongs.....

nothing rong with the engine except that opti....it's gotta go....

plus WHEN the opti craps out on you, it WILL cost bux and time/effort to make it right, again....

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I would do it ONLY if I could remachine the intake for a normal computer HEI, and ditch that opti spark crap where it belongs.....

nothing rong with the engine except that opti....it's gotta go....

plus WHEN the opti craps out on you, it WILL cost bux and time/effort to make it right, again....
Well, I guess there's always the L98 option.. Or will the intake plenum not clear the hood?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Well, I guess there's always the L98 option.. Or will the intake plenum not clear the hood?

Yeh, that's what I have, essentially a ZZ4 engine with L98 bigmouth/large runners/hogged out plenum....and up/over air induction and 52mm tbody...

I would like to do the changeover to the LT series manifold, but problem is the prices are way too high still.....so I wait, and if it don't happen, this next time I pull it off there, I may well siamese the manifold runners...supposed to add some decent HP.....some people say 30-40, I think it's BS...but who knows???

:WTF :huh: :cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LT1 engine

Thanks for all of the tips. The computer comes with it, but I am not sure about the harness. The guy collects vettes and has lots of toys laying around. He offered the engine and computer for $1200:partyon: . Good Deal?
Thought so myself. I am just worried about issues such as the oil pan fitting, wiring harness, space issues... etc.
Thanks
Bill R.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
IF you doing the wiring, you may as well do it yourself...and get over with it...strip out the necessary wiring from the factory harness...as surely i'ts kitted up for just whatever car it came from...not your install, so lengths are going to be problematic.....hopefully you can solder wires or know someone who can....it was easy for me, I"m an olde phardt ET, so used to wiring all sorts of crap....

the mechanicals fit fine, no sweat, the serp setup is another horse entirely, and many guys wind up trying other systems from cars and trucks, but the one that WORKS is a 88-91 vette setup....which is what I have....only thing is the airpump eliminator kit or make one yourself....

6' did....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts