Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the rear mounting point for a C4 convertible x frame brace. I see the front mounting point.. it came with all the hardware from the donor car and has four spacers that are about 1.5 inches tall. thanks gary:smack

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the rear mounting point for a C4 convertible x frame brace. I see the front mounting point.. it came with all the hardware from the donor car and has four spacers that are about 1.5 inches tall. thanks gary:smack
I will get pictures for you this weekend of the X brace and spacers on my 87 vert.
The 4 spacers also have thinner aluminum shims sandwiched in between the lower 1.5 tall extruded aluminum blocks and the body mount points.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

:thumbsup:Thanks, i relly appreciate that.. i have not noticed any shims with it. A assortment of washers and bolts came with it and the center plate. Do you know if it attaches to the floor pan at any point? I know the front was already drilled from the factory.. bur i have not a clue where it attaches in the rear. thanks, gary
I will get pictures for you this weekend of the X brace and spacers on my 87 vert.
The 4 spacers also have thinner aluminum shims sandwiched in between the lower 1.5 tall extruded aluminum blocks and the body mount points.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
:thumbsup:Thanks, i relly appreciate that.. i have not noticed any shims with it. A assortment of washers and bolts came with it and the center plate. Do you know if it attaches to the floor pan at any point? I know the front was already drilled from the factory.. bur i have not a clue where it attaches in the rear. thanks, gary
Yes Gary, it does attach to the main fiberglass floor pan.
Just 1 mounting point there.
A stud protrudes downward toward the ground.
X- brace attaches slight off center of center arms to this stud.
Think its just a standard metric 8mm bolt fiberglass clothed in from the passenger compartment. Hidden by carpet.
Also there are round rubber biscouts or donoughts sandwiched between the X brace And main floorpan.
Think those are for anti rattle and squeak control.
Internet down here.
Have sattelite. Farmhouse .
Try and post pics for you from the wifes smart phone.
My 87 has to come out of winter hibernation this weekend.

Brian R.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian, I am looking forward to those pictures.. My car is a black 1987 coupe with a 91-94 body kit on it. which was installed by the previous owner. I have a targa truss on it, and will have a camber brace soon.. and now the vert x brace to install. I have been changeing all the rubbber bushings out to poly urethane too.. then new shocks,, thanks gary:cheers:
Yes Gary, it does attach to the main fiberglass floor pan.
Just 1 mounting point there.
A stud protrudes downward toward the ground.
X- brace attaches slight off center of center arms to this stud.
Think its just a standard metric 8mm bolt fiberglass clothed in from the passenger compartment. Hidden by carpet.
Also there are round rubber biscouts or donoughts sandwiched between the X brace And main floorpan.
Think those are for anti rattle and squeak control.
Internet down here.
Have sattelite. Farmhouse .
Try and post pics for you from the wifes smart phone.
My 87 has to come out of winter hibernation this weekend.

Brian R.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
Thanks Brian, I am looking forward to those pictures.. My car is a black 1987 coupe with a 91-94 body kit on it. which was installed by the previous owner. I have a targa truss on it, and will have a camber brace soon.. and now the vert x brace to install. I have been changeing all the rubbber bushings out to poly urethane too.. then new shocks,, thanks gary:cheers:
1987 was a great year and for a C4 Corvette.
Last year for the early 84-87 Vette and early design C4 suspension.
I will get you pics and post as soon as I can.
The thin shims are crudly made but functional.
You should be able to fabricate your own easily.

Looking for a 1990 ZR-1 Left Rear rim. Have a matching RR 17X11. Have the 1990 ZR-1 and 315s on rear already.
Have the 1990 17X9 front rims but they have 54 mm offset. Stock on early C4s is 32mm offset.
Rear C4 ZR-1 rims have 36 mm offset. Fit nice in place of 32mm.
Dont want to use hub a centric wheel adapters.
Rather put matching 1990 ZR-1 rims and 315s up front also. One LR 90 ZR-1 rim.......
Have all 3 low pressure tire warning sensors.
Good shape, no damage ZR-1 issue.
Also have 1990 rear spindle assemblies complete.
From a 12,000 mile Z Vette. Hit up front.
Mint condition rear spindles fit 1988-96 C4.
Wheel and deal trade. If you know of anyone with a nice 1990 ZR-1 LR wheel.

Brian R.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ebay

I see alot of corvette rims on ebay, i am looking fo a A/O forced air difusser on there now.. :cheers:
1987 was a great year and for a C4 Corvette.
Last year for the early 84-87 Vette and early design C4 suspension.
I will get you pics and post as soon as I can.
The thin shims are crudly made but functional.
You should be able to fabricate your own easily.

Looking for a 1990 ZR-1 Left Rear rim. Have a matching RR 17X11. Have the 1990 ZR-1 and 315s on rear already.
Have the 1990 17X9 front rims but they have 54 mm offset. Stock on early C4s is 32mm offset.
Rear C4 ZR-1 rims have 36 mm offset. Fit nice in place of 32mm.
Dont want to use hub a centric wheel adapters.
Rather put matching 1990 ZR-1 rims and 315s up front also. One LR 90 ZR-1 rim.......
Have all 3 low pressure tire warning sensors.
Good shape, no damage ZR-1 issue.
Also have 1990 rear spindle assemblies complete.
From a 12,000 mile Z Vette. Hit up front.
Mint condition rear spindles fit 1988-96 C4.
Wheel and deal trade. If you know of anyone with a nice 1990 ZR-1 LR wheel.

Brian R.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
I see alot of corvette rims on ebay, i am looking fo a A/O forced air difusser on there now.. :cheers:
I am an Ebay fan too.
Purchase some of my C4 parts there.
Pontiac muscle car guy too.
My old Pontiac musclecars and Ram Air 4 and Superduty 455 engine parts became super valuable last few years with Pontiac gone.
Who would had ever guessed an original 1970 Trans Am Quadrajet is worth now $2500 and another 1974 Super Duty 455 800 cfm Q-jet is worth up to $4000.
I own both.
Glad I kept my Pontiacs all these years since 1987.
Some C4 parts like wheels I prefer buying from other Corvette fans.
Love to trade.

Brian R.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey brian

:spanked:hey brian, any luck on those pictures of the x brace mounting location yet. i did not see much on ebay tonight, thanks, gary
I am an Ebay fan too.
Purchase some of my C4 parts there.
Pontiac muscle car guy too.
My old Pontiac musclecars and Ram Air 4 and Superduty 455 engine parts became super valuable last few years with Pontiac gone.
Who would had ever guessed an original 1970 Trans Am Quadrajet is worth now $2500 and another 1974 Super Duty 455 800 cfm Q-jet is worth up to $4000.
I own both.
Glad I kept my Pontiacs all these years since 1987.
Some C4 parts like wheels I prefer buying from other Corvette fans.
Love to trade.

Brian R.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
:spanked:hey brian, any luck on those pictures of the x brace mounting location yet. i did not see much on ebay tonight, thanks, gary
No. No good chance today Gary.
Will try getting pictures for you Sunday.
Busy most of the day.
High winds blowing all day long.
Need to pull my vette out of garage to get decent pics of the X brace.
Looked on ebay.......china rims galore for ZR-1 rims.
Nothing new.
Real factory ZR-1 rims have less than .010 inch lateral and radial runout if you check with a dial indicator while bare rim on a tire balancer machine.
China rims often .100 or more off true center.
Factory made the best. For A 200 mph super car.
Hopped up of course.

;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

Roger that brian, sure do appreciate it.. weather is nice here today, looking like i will get some corvette wrenching time today.. oh boy:cheers:
No. No good chance today Gary.
Will try getting pictures for you Sunday.
Busy most of the day.
High winds blowing all day long.
Need to pull my vette out of garage to get decent pics of the X brace.
Looked on ebay.......china rims galore for ZR-1 rims.
Nothing new.
Real factory ZR-1 rims have less than .010 inch lateral and radial runout if you check with a dial indicator while bare rim on a tire balancer machine.
China rims often .100 or more off true center.
Factory made the best. For A 200 mph super car.
Hopped up of course.

;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
X frame spacers & ZZ4 engine replacement

Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the rear mounting point for a C4 convertible x frame brace.

Did you receive pictures? I am attempting nut replacements on frame since original glued nuts all broke loose. Considering alternative use of Fastenal "U" nuts with original spacers and bolts. Curious, what you finished.

Might be interested, I replaced on my 1987 engine with a Chevy Performance ZZ4 (240 to 350 HP). All my original factory components and wiring bolt on to this long block. Sold ZZ4 new carb intake manifold, and oil pan not needed. PROM tune accomplished and could give you my programming for your chip that sets ZZ4 timing advance plot, initial set, 180 coolant temp and I optionally added (maybe your choice) larger fuel injectors with larger throttle body. 20K on odometer since, great running and conservative camshaft idle sound is a clue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts