Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went out with my '88 Vette and in few miles the coolant was getting overheated and going out on reservoir cap.

After this I had to fill up coolant reservoir with about 1.5 litres coolant and I've cleared coolant reservoir cap and radiator cap also. Now there isn't any problem with coolant temperature.

What was the problem? Maybe thermostat or waterpump?

Please help me, Thanks.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
tmcorvette said:
Last week I went out with my '88 Vette and in few miles the coolant was getting overheated and going out on reservoir cap.

After this I had to fill up coolant reservoir with about 1.5 litres coolant and I've cleared coolant reservoir cap and radiator cap also. Now there isn't any problem with coolant temperature.

What was the problem? Maybe thermostat or waterpump?

Please help me, Thanks.
Has this ever happened before?

Sure, maybe the fan didn't engage.... the stat was stuck.... but is it possible some debris like a plastic grocery bag got sucked up over the radiator while driving?

What is your ratio of water/anti-freeze?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: C4 coolant overheated

Patrick96LT4 said:
Has this ever happened before?

Sure, maybe the fan didn't engage.... the stat was stuck.... but is it possible some debris like a plastic grocery bag got sucked up over the radiator while driving?

What is your ratio of water/anti-freeze?
Thanks, but my fan is working correctly, and I didn't get any bag while driwing I think. The coolant was getting hotter and hotter and I've stopped my car. This time the temperature was about 220 F and started going out on reservoir cap. I filled up and I didn't get any problem for that time.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts

I found this diagram I find it interesting but all the data I've seen before I saw this diagram and which I trust considerably more than this diagram tends to point to slightly higher average temperatures being ideal.
I have repeatedly said that your oil temp should keep above 215° to allow moisture to burnout of the oil and that your coolant temp should stay in the 180-220 range
SMOKEY YUNICK, in several places in several books, refers to extensive dyno testing he did for General Motors, where they consistently found, that both engine wear and hp production benefited when the oil temp stayed above 215° but below 240°, and the coolant temperature stayed between 180 and 220, degrees, or as SMOKEY said, trying keep your oil hot, but your coolant, about 20 to 30° lower in temperature but the coolant should never be below 180°, and should not exceed 220°, while temperature should never below the below 215°, and 235 to 240 is about ideal, mineral base oils tend to start breaking down over 240°, synthetic oils can easily handle temperatures up in the 270 degree range in for extended periods, but they performed best in their lubrication in cleaning function went down in the 240 range

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having the same problem, only my leak occurs at the stem beneath the surge tank cap; it bubbles out there. I guess I need to replace the surge tank. Haven't had much luck googling Geiger Plastics Inc. (the name on the thing). Anyone know where to get those? After reading this thread I did go out and check for debris on the radiator... yep, a plastic bag tucked way up there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
C-4's are known for sucking junk between the radiator and the AC condenser. You won't see it from the bottom. You have to take the front end apart and seperate the cond. from the radiator

·
Registered
93 Posts
C4 running Hot

I use a air compressor to blow out the trash that is sucked up infront of the radiator and I use the blower nozzle where the fan blades are to blow the grass, etc out. Ever two years or so I remove the radiator and use a water hose and blow out all dirt and trash. Hope this Helps.
Louis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts