Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coupe. I know lots of people that have coupes. One of the things that coupe owners talk about is the way our coupes feel when we take the targa top out - the descriptions range from mild symptoms of less than stellar chassis regidity to tales of feeling like the center of the frame was rotating about an axis (and it's right under you!).

My experience is about in the middle - when the top is removed, I can feel it in the steering column, as it picks up this very odd horizontal oscillation at low speeds, and just moves a lot when encountering rough pavement. The car also complains by generating more squeaks and rattles. Railroad crossings become a real adventure, as the car seemingly flexes through them rather than driving over them.

Here's what I want to know - do you convertible driver's contend with the same thing? Does your car flex and move around? Do you get significant cowl shake and movement of the steering column?

I know that convertibles got some additional bracings (primarily the cross brace under the car). However, there are coupe owners that have purchased not only the cross brace, but the camber brace, and the targa bar. These items usually help, but don't cure, the problem.

This is a concern of mine because a friend of mine is on a quest to obtain a convertible C4 or C5. I don't want to recommend a C4 vert if it's gonna feel like the automotive equivalent of the Straw Man.

I'd appreciate your feedback - both coupe owners that may have gotten their flexure under control, and convertible owners that can shed some light on the vehicle's characteristics compared to the targa-less coupe!

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
my 00 vert feels as firm as it can i feel absoulutly no flex in the frame at all

it drives over railroad tracks just fine(i slow down alot because of the front spoiler) i would buy a convertable again anyday and the car feels just as solid with the top up or with it down

and i have a totally stock suspension

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I haven't felt anything that would alarm me about driving my dad's 88 vert. I think the vert is a little better than the coupe to be honest. It's quiter with the top down than the coupe with the top off. I never have to the top on my car so I really don't notice or care about the flex the car has when the top is off it's just part of the car. Maybe someday I'll put the top on and drive it around to see what everyone is talking about as to it's flex.

·
Registered
752 Posts
my 87 vert doesn't feel weird in any way. this could be of course that i'm used to it, but it seems very solid.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a coupe. I know lots of people that have coupes. One of the things that coupe owners talk about is the way our coupes feel when we take the targa top out - the descriptions range from mild symptoms of less than stellar chassis regidity to tales of feeling like the center of the frame was rotating about an axis (and it's right under you!).

My experience is about in the middle - when the top is removed, I can feel it in the steering column, as it picks up this very odd horizontal oscillation at low speeds, and just moves a lot when encountering rough pavement. The car also complains by generating more squeaks and rattles. Railroad crossings become a real adventure, as the car seemingly flexes through them rather than driving over them.

Here's what I want to know - do you convertible driver's contend with the same thing? Does your car flex and move around? Do you get significant cowl shake and movement of the steering column?

I know that convertibles got some additional bracings (primarily the cross brace under the car). However, there are coupe owners that have purchased not only the cross brace, but the camber brace, and the targa bar. These items usually help, but don't cure, the problem.

This is a concern of mine because a friend of mine is on a quest to obtain a convertible C4 or C5. I don't want to recommend a C4 vert if it's gonna feel like the automotive equivalent of the Straw Man.

I'd appreciate your feedback - both coupe owners that may have gotten their flexure under control, and convertible owners that can shed some light on the vehicle's characteristics compared to the targa-less coupe!

Thanks,
Steven
C5 vert > C4 stock vert with hardtop > C4 stock coupe with top in >> C4 stock vert w/o hardtop >> C4 stock coupe with top out.

No experience with C5 coupes, but I'd expect that FRC > coupe > vert

Add cross-brace to C4 coupe and then C4 coupe >> C4 vert in similar configurations (hardtop/targa on vs off)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had both a 91' Vert and my current 90' ZR1 Coupe. For a short time I had both at the same time. When I had only the vert I thought it was surprisingly sold for a convertable, with relatively little flex, they do have the "X" brace on the frame that the coupes do not. When I got the coupe I was able to go back and forth between the two and I was surprised how flexy the vert felt after driving the coupe. So I guess it's just a matter of what your use to. But to answer your question a vert feels more flexable than a coupe with or without the coupe top in place.

Hans
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had both a 91' Vert and my current 90' ZR1 Coupe. For a short time I had both at the same time. When I had only the vert I thought it was surprisingly sold for a convertable, with relatively little flex, they do have the "X" brace on the frame that the coupes do not. When I got the coupe I was able to go back and forth between the two and I was surprised how flexy the vert felt after driving the coupe. So I guess it's just a matter of what your use to. But to answer your question a vert feels more flexable than a coupe with or without the coupe top in place.

Hans
:cheers:
Thanks for the response! I had wondered if a large part of the flex I notice is just muscle memory - my body gets used to a certain way that the car will react, then I make a fundamental change to it by removing the top, and I notice the change. I've also observed that as soon as I get out of town with it, I'm not paying nearly as much attention to the flex as I do when I first pull it out of the garage.

If my buddy buys a C4 vert, then, I'll just make sure that I don't let him drive my coupe any more! :laughing:

Steven

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I've owned both coupe and convertible early C4's and to tell you the truth, I don't think there is any difference. I never really noticed much difference in my coupe's with the top on or off. My convertible I now have is a little flexy, but I don't think it was any worse than the coupe.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The C5 vert is much more rigid then the C4. I recall reading that the C4 (as were most cars) was first designed as a coupe, then when GM wanted to produce a vert they lopped the top off and added bracing to make the car more rigid.

The C5 was initially designed as a convertible (although the coupe was released to the public first). This enabled the chassis engineers to get it as rigid and flex free as possible. The coupe and FRC hard tops only add to the stiffness of the C5.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I notice it on train tracks and stuff, but that's about it. Regular driving and even handling don't feel really affected at all.....

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
My 1995 flexed with the top out, I didn't like that too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts