Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing to start my upgrade on a 90 conv. with 6 sp. Looking to keep the great mileage I get but want the HP and torque. Would a set of 200cfm heads and better cam with procharger get this done. Have a set of SB2.2 that I can use but will have to have a custom cam made. I want something unique, not looking for the same old LS swap. Thought about a new custom EFI with the round TB.

Have a buddy that is putting a Ferrair v8 in his C4 just to do it. Wanted something different.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Nice set of heads. I have a set in storage for a project that I want to start. Yes, you'll definitely need a custom cam because the valves are switched around. The ones I have are 53 cc and you'd have a terrible time trying to get the compression down to where a Procharger would be possible. As I recall with a set of -28cc dished pistons and a thick head gasket the compression would still have been about 10.4. Obviously that's much too high for supercharger applications.

The best way to lower the compression would be with shorter rods and leave the piston in the hole. That may be more custom work. These heads flow way over 400 CFM so running NA they are capable of a lot of HP. The only downside is that low end torque would not exist and most power would be made over 7000 RPM.

Try to figure it out with shorter rods, less compression (8.5 or so) using -16cc dish pistons. Mahle makes some real nice coated ones that will handle the power. I use them on several of my street engines. They are light and will rev to the moon.

I've always thought this intake would look really cool on the sb2.2 heads. After all, it's made for them. I kinda think that would look a little different.:D NA 800 HP and screw the mileage. The grin on your face would be worth an additional 10 MPG and revving higher than your friends Ferrari V8.......PRICELESS.

Good luck and keep us posted on this cool idea.;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going to be a 383 or larger ci. I would really like to have a 427 ci small block. I just like the number. I was thinking that a shorter rod would work. It would be a lot more work and figuring but it would be different. I still want the procharger. But your right the RPM range would be high. 90 % of what I'll be driving will be 2K to 3K. Propbably better off goinng with a 200 or 210 cfm 23 degree head. I thought about 18 degree heads too. Some one out there even makes hemi heads, that would look kool.

A ZR1 motor would be next option. If I could find a reasonable price one that needs rebuild I'd go that route. put a charger on it and hold on.

I still want the mileage. Right now I'm getting 21 city and 29 hwy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the ls swap, just want something different. Would like to set the car up for 19x12, 19x10 zr1 wheels, coil overs, greenwood ground effects, new hood with old 427 scoop or L88 scoop, bigger flare on rear wheels, custom front bumper with spoiler (NASCAR style splitter), high wing CR4, custom interior, dual roll bars, big C6 brakes 14", etc...

The LS swap might even be cheaper or about the same as to what I would do if I just got 200 cfm heads and rebuilt the current motor. It's a good looking swap and GM should have done it long ago.

Problem with running a charger on the l98 motors the heads don't flow on the exhaust side enough. If I can get 500hp with the charger and maintain my mileage and driveability I'll be happy. This is a daily driver so I can't go to wild with the HP. If I go with the SB2.2 heads or the ZR1 motor then were talking major $$$.

NASCAR is going to use fuel injection starting in 2012, the intake you posted 1963SS is fantastic looking, who makes it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts