Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '88 Vette and its a non-op and Im looking to order a crate 383 stroker to replace the motor that doesn't run.

Ive searched all over but have yet to come across, is there any writeup's for a c4 motor swap? Im looking to see how much time and cost this will set me back

any help/links are appreciated

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are so many possible variables here that it's hard to know where to start. First, what's the cost of the engine package? Are you doing the work yourself? How many supporting mods are needed or will be done? Questions, questions, questions......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no mods, just a complete motor drop in
I want everything else to be stock, just have a few more ci under the hood

I just want a writeup up pulling the motor and dropping the other one in.

Im not good with electrical and i know the vette has a nightmare of one in it.

It would be me and 2 others helping pull the motor and dropping the other in.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You can buy a GM performance parts 383 crate motor for about 3000.00. Comes with GMs aluminum fast burn heads, and 425 hp right out of the crate if it is set up right. I just put one in an '85 for a friend of mine. Plus you get a warranty with it too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
fast burn heads

I am told that you will need a new manifold to use the fast burn heads, I don't know about the exhaust manifolds. I was told by the Gm parts guy at he good guys thatthe cam is "off for the L98 injection... don't know if that is the gospel or not. sme with the zz4 I am told . rebuilding mine now and considering the 383 rebuild on original motor. will talk to shop and figure that out latter. I have not done an engine in years as I have been busy with work health and medical retirement issues. I will be taking the word of a shop thaat has done most of the race engines at the local speedway. $875 for the basic rebuild plus cam lifters, and balanceing. etc or 2000 for the basic reliable street motor.

g

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am told that you will need a new manifold to use the fast burn heads, I don't know about the exhaust manifolds. I was told by the Gm parts guy at he good guys thatthe cam is "off for the L98 injection... don't know if that is the gospel or not. sme with the zz4 I am told . rebuilding mine now and considering the 383 rebuild on original motor. will talk to shop and figure that out latter. I have not done an engine in years as I have been busy with work health and medical retirement issues. I will be taking the word of a shop thaat has done most of the race engines at the local speedway. $875 for the basic rebuild plus cam lifters, and balanceing. etc or 2000 for the basic reliable street motor.

g
You would have to change intakes. I used an Edelbrock. The exhaust manifolds will work, but you have to use the "D" shaped gaskets. The fuel injection works fine with the cam. GM recommends you run a hypertech chip and a 160 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
thats good to know, if the heads on my l98 are toast I will go for the fastburns, my headers were abused by the trans guy and former maintenance people under the hood, way too many hits with an impact gun . Need cali smog legal headers.....but that is another old thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts