Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being in the market for a C5 couple 1998-2002 with 6-speed tranny, I did some research and found the following items to be imperative when sourcing your used Vette.
Below are some problem areas that fellow members have encoundered;

- water leaks in around the windows, the rubber seal may be worn out or dried out.
- active handling module problems (what were they?)
- fuel pump issues?
- the steering column lock issue
- seat belt retractors
- rocking seats, ¼” movement
- problem with piston ring and were burning oil, LS6 only? 2001 model year?
- turn signals sometimes malfunction
- fuel gauge not accurate
- leaking rear seals (differential)
- weak E-brake

Did I miss anything? Comments?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep in mind not all C-5's have all those problems. Since this a Corvette site, you will see all the problems lumped together. There are many thousand C-5's that have had little or no problems. Just food for thought. As with any used car, check it our and if it is what you want go for it. Problems can be had with any car.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,444 Posts
While some C5's will have some problems, Belvin's right. Many, many have no problems. I have had two C5's ('00 Coupe & '04 Z) and have had none of the above problems. The only problems I have had were a loose ground screw on the coupe and a cracked air conditioner vent louver ($6 plastic piece) on the Z.

Market research is good but make sure you check out the individual car you are buying. That is the one that is important

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys.
I just want to be buyer aware before forking over 25K-30K.
In any case, I was just looking for some more common problems that can be had with this vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those are all good things to look at, I did have the seat problem, steering column recall (but it was not broken), and still have a weak E-break.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My 2000 is around 6 years old and its only had the steering lock recall issue and a small hole in the weather striping but it doesnt leak and after 6 years that could be expected.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only issue I have had is a rare one with the blinkers. But is I tap the hazard switch it works again. I have a post on DC and have had some information come. I will be correcting issue soon. But keep in mind no car is perfect, but the Vette is a damn good car! Good luck drive safe

·
Registered
158 Posts
My vette's problems:

- water leaks in around the driver's side window (not much, a little)
- wind noise on driver's side window (probably water leaking is connected)
- the steering column lock issue is always there :bang
- weak E-brake
- headlights won't go up many times when engine is running

Btw this question just popped up while writing this comment. What do you think is a problem when headlights won't go up almost 90% times when engine is running, but when the engine is off, lights always come up.

Could this be related to weak battery or something?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had same problem with headlights not raising every time. I also had all lights dimming when applying brakes. The cause was indeed a weak battery, and more precisely one of the terminals had come loose in-side the casing, probably from over-tightening. An easy fix.

·
Registered
145 Posts
somtimes after romping on it ,service active handling and abs light come on but goes away,,headlight door probs,have to keep replacing the little white tabs on the linkage (that gets old) and i put the brass gears in the motors, thats really been it for me,,2003 coupe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts