Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I'll have mine on my 2000 Z-51 on Monday....I'll let you know what I think.

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
jasobhrai said:
Any thoughts on the above???

some have said its best suited for the C5 Z06 and above only (C6....)
Careful, though I have respect for the Halltech products, (I've owned two of the regular stinger systems), I believe the reason the SSM filter was discontinued for C5 application was a problem with it wreaking havoc on the the MAF and throwing constant computer codes. Not everyone whose installed the SSM on a C5 has had this problem, many people have had great results, it's an anomoly (read:crapshoot) but the problem is known. Funny you mention 'best suited for Z06', again, if I'm remembering correctly, the worst of the cases were in Z06's as the Z's MAF is completely open (doesn't have the honeycomb baffles) and were getting the worst of the problems.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
do you know if the problems were exclusive to the stinger ssm, or were they with the basic stinger also? if it was getting too much air at the MAF, wouldnt an aftermarket high flow unit tuned for cold air intakes fi the problem?

·
9,389 Posts
Yeah, the code throwing was pretty much limited to the the SSM element version. Just A LOT of air coming in. All that's required to fix the issue is a good tune. No aftermarket MAF is necessary. I think Jim just discontinued the SSM Stinger for the C5 because he wanted to offer only true bolt-on systems, without any complications (like a necessary tune).

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i noticed they list the stinger for 97-00 and another one for 01-04....what is the difference in the years that makes it need a different design. i was told that a 01-04 piece wouldnt work on a 97-00....

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
HardcoreABN said:
i noticed they list the stinger for 97-00 and another one for 01-04....what is the difference in the years that makes it need a different design. i was told that a 01-04 piece wouldnt work on a 97-00....
I believe that the diameter of the MAF is a different size only:smokin:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've spent a lot of time trying to find the right CAI for my 03 C5 and i thought i'd found it in the SSM (i can't deal with the VR2) so its the SSM or Blackwing. I wonder if a good tune along with SSM will really make a diff on my stock C5. The tune will add expense to my first mod....... should i just get the BB bullit instead for similar money?

Is the SSM for the C5 still available?

·
9,389 Posts
jasobhrai said:
I've spent a lot of time trying to find the right CAI for my 03 C5 and i thought i'd found it in the SSM (i can't deal with the VR2) so its the SSM or Blackwing.
Black wing is less money, but gives you only a new element, the Halltech system also ships with a much better, less restrictive/higher flowing airbridge.

jasobhrai said:
I wonder if a good tune along with SSM will really make a diff on my stock C5.
HUGE difference, probably the biggest 'seat of the pants' difference you can get for even twice the money.

jasobhrai said:
The tune will add expense to my first mod....... should i just get the BB bullit instead for similar money?
The Bullets are awesome! I have them on my car, but remember, the bottom line to performance is simple... More air in...more air out. The Bullets will certainly take car of the second, but you'll need to open up the front end too to complete the balance.

You may even notice a drop in 'off the line' power with just a less restrictive exhaust, as back pressure is greatly reduced, coupling that with better inhaling though, will REALLY waken your car up.

Conversely, just an intake will give you a definite 'throttle response' upgrade, but won't be working to it's true potential til ya get a free-er flowing cat back.

My advice, crack the piggy bank and get both, then get a good tune. Trust me, it will be a totally different car!:thumbsup:

jasobhrai said:
Is the SSM for the C5 still available?
not from Halltech, but some venders still have some available, look around:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
lg motorsports still has the ssm listed for sale on their website

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I saw the Halltech SSM at their website. I want one... But I don't want any codes thrown.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do Halltech still sell the C5 SSM?... I'm ordering the SSM (getting a custom tune done), Velocity Stack, BB Bullits (hope the cruising drone isn't too much :-I) and Hurst Shifter.

Any help with the SSM???

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
after some research, the only diff from the 97-00 and 01-04 is that the 97-00 has the iat sensor in the air bridge and the 01-04 has it built into the maf....think i might order the ssm before i get it tuned....need more power....

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have a Halltech SSM on my '03 Z06 and for over 1 year and 9K miles, I have had no issues what so ever, none.............

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I really want one. Anybody do any price shoping? Do we get a doscount at any of the supporting vendors? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Not that I don't like mine a lot, but the engine builders who are workingon my car may be installing a Vara-ram. If they do, i'll sell mine for a couple of hundred or slightly less. :)

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
let me know if they do, ill buy it. ive got the regualr stinger, but want the ssm

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Will do......stand-by. Will know by this tues or wedns:)

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
outstanding! im gettin her tuned un a week or so, that would be perfect

y would you chose a vararam over the ssm?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Not my choice, the tuner/builder says the Vararam makes more power at higher speed. He may think it will feed the big cam, etp heads , fast intake and ls2 t-body better.I really don't know but I don't question these guys. He said he'd look at my set-up and decide so I don't know the answer yet:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts