Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a question for those of you who have high-mileage C5 cars. I'm finding a few high-mileage cars that are in the cheaper price range, and while they seem in good shape overall (with the usual maintenance needs), I'm wondering if I should save my money for something in really great shape or if I could enjoy a Corvette sooner. I was thinking that if I get a 100k mileage car I could drive it for a few years, run it up to 200,000, do an engine rebuild, and enjoy it some more. What do you think? As long as the car is in fine shape overall, should I stay away from high-mileage cars?

·
Registered
45 Posts
good bet

I got a 1998 C5 with 85,000 on it .It was the best thing I have ever done that has been a year ago and all I have to say is I should have done it sooner !!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ive thought the same thing several times. Ive searched various places and come up with quite a few c5s in the 200k + plus range. From what I read, as long as there's regular maintenance and an injector cleaning around 150, you should be good to go. Good luck with the search.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
my '00 has 105k. the only problems i have/had are a bad gear in the right headlight, some weatherstripping gone bad, some of the motors in the seat adjustment dont work right, and the memory modual for the right side is flakey. ran like a champ until i broke a valvespring and marred the piston face on the #6 piston. The camshaft also has noticeable wear, but it is an aftermarket camshaft. the cam has at least 40k miles on it, but then again it isnt the stock cam. I have also done a front and rear brake job. and plan on having the fluids flushed this fall.

If I had to choise between a low and high mileage C5 with a significant price difference, I would get the high milage- but I may be biased since if it breaks, that is an excuse to replace that part with a hi-po part lol....and being a mechanic helps, but i would still get a higher mileage one given the difference in prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
C5 100K Experience

Hello! I have a question for those of you who have high-mileage C5 cars. I'm finding a few high-mileage cars that are in the cheaper price range, and while they seem in good shape overall (with the usual maintenance needs), I'm wondering if I should save my money for something in really great shape or if I could enjoy a Corvette sooner. I was thinking that if I get a 100k mileage car I could drive it for a few years, run it up to 200,000, do an engine rebuild, and enjoy it some more. What do you think? As long as the car is in fine shape overall, should I stay away from high-mileage cars?
This thread has been up for awhile, but it's an interesting topic to me since my 2002 coupe just turned 100K. Maybe others searching will get some benefit from it. I bought my Corvette new in April 2002 and put all the miles on it. Daily driver from April to October in the Cleveland area. A bit of track activity, but most is general city/highway driving. Overall good experience, but not Honda-like in reliability. I have had the following experience: a) tires and brakes last about 35,000 miles; b) fuel economy is great at 22 in town, 27 on the highway; c) noisy but fun to drive "head turner!"; d) ABS module failed at 40K and cost $1,200 at the dealer (I learned later about ABS Fixer!); e) headlight gearmotors failed and I rebuilt with brass gears -- fairly easy; f) harmonic balancer wobbled and replaced that and water pump at 90K miles; g) fuel guage sticks if you don't use fuel additive to remove sulphur occasionally; h) have 4-speed automatic trans and that's the weak point of the C5 (though trans has been reliable, it needs more gears); i) body is very solid, fiberglass has held color and resisted dents better than metal; j) engine is very solid and will go for much longer, I think; k) seats didn't start great and the padding is getting worse -- need rebuilding, but the leather is still fine. Hope this helps, and again, sorry for posting to an old thread.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a 2001 coupe in April with 86,000 on it. A 70 y o lady had it for the last 8 years, garage kept and in super great shape inside and out. No codes pulled at all,, the tires were 7 y o so I recently replaced those. I have put approx. 2,000 miles on it and now have built confidence of sort in it. It also had a pristine ''Carfax'',, I think it will hold up. My 2007 Z-71 has 119,000 and I would take off to California in it,, vehicles hold up better now-a-days.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Mine had 140,000 on it when I bought it for $8K. I did a little work to get it back to factory specs. 326HP at the wheels last Dyno.

Now I have put a lot of hi-po parts on it and will have it running again this weekend. I aint scared and you shouldn't be either. I hope to hit over 400HP after the tune and by the end with the sc I should be at 550. Then maybe...an alchy kit to get to 700. My goal is to get in the 9s. :D Its good to have goals.

Just DO IT!

:partyon:

·
Registered
1972 Convertible, 2004 Coupe, 2019 Grandsport
38 Posts
We bought the Corvette Coupe new from dealer in February 2004. This dealer is the clubs meeting spot before departing on fun runs. This day COCSD was gathering for a Valentines run and we were there with our 72, with a little time on our hands we were looking at the new Corvettes. Then we made the mistake of test driving one. After the test drive I said “If you can have this ready for us to take on the run we will buy it.” The sales man said “That’s less the 20mintues!” “I guess you better make this quick!” Here we are 2 months shy of 10 years and turning over 200k miles on the odometer. Anyone who knows us will tell you these are not pampered easy freeway miles either. We have taking it to the 1/8 mile drags at Qualcomm and packed loads of camping gear in the rear hatch. The only things I have done to it as far mods are the Z06 Ti exhaust, cut larger opening in the stock air box, and a dyno tune (This is the wife’s daily driver.) Overall the car has performed great and just normal wear items you would expect to be replaced. The AC compressor lasted to 150K and when I replaced it I replaced the water pump seeing as I had to take it off to get to the compressor out anyways. Looking forward to hitting 300k! These cars are made to be driven so take that cover off and pull it into the sunlight, you will both be happier for it. :D:D
Check it out on YouTube;

·
Registered
846 Posts
I bought a 99 FRC with 49K on the clock and sold it with just shy of 90K. I never put anything in it but tires and gas. C5/C6 Corvettes are truly reliable cars.

Go for it!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My '97 had 133,000 miles on it when I sold it, other than normal wear & tear, good routine maintenance , she ran good, had no problems.

If it runs goods, sounds good, go for it. Main thing, check for leaks....... real good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts