Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the release of the C6 around the corner I was wondering what everyone thought of the C5 when they first saw it and what you think of it today?

When I first saw the C5 I didn't like it and bought a C4. I guess growing up my ideal of a Corvette was the C4. Thought the C5 didn't look right and like most didn't like the rear. Of course times have changed and I really like the lines of all model years. Each year has its own greatness

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I thought the C5 looked like a Ford Probe and the Acura NSX.... I hated it! But, it's unique identifiers finally appeared to me.

I like them, but could only get one in black.:p

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I wasn't paying attention to Vettes when the C5 came out.
When I went to buy a Vette in 00, I became interested in the C5 cause I could drag my arthritic body in and out way easier than the C4, even though the C4 was the price range I was originally looking in. I had originally given up on C4's and was looking at...Boxters! when I sat in a C5. Game, set and match.
One of my better decisions in life along with the woman I married 30 some years ago.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I prefer C4 more then the C5, but the C5 has grown on me.

Overall, the C5 is an awesome car out of the box. Easy to get in, more power and some great features along with being comfortable. But, I like the tight feel I get when sitting in my '93, it feels more like a race car to me. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to agree with Bubblehead's comments. I *like* my C5, but I also liked my first Vette, a Polo Green 96 LT1 except for the auto gearbox. If I could have my green 96 back with the LT4/6 spd, I would trade my C5 for it. Would REALLY like a 96 GS, but only 12 were ever exported to Canada. The C4 was a little rougher around the edges than a C5, but I liked it that way. As much as I like the C5 , it's more of a luxo GT cruiser-in my opinion. There are a lot of standard Canadian options that i can live without.So, if anyone has a 96 GS that wants to move up to a low mileage (4200) C5 , as Joan Rivers would say, Can we talk?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I saw the C5 about a month before it was supposed to be seen. Went to a local dealer, ant ehy had it covered up on a lift. Didn't like it at all...it's grown on me, but I still love the lines of a C4 conv't.

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
when it came out, i thought it looked awesome... except for the rear.. now with the FRC/Z06.. i think they could do without the 3 feet of bookshelf hanging off the back. they could have at least put some shark lines for the b pillar or something

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I first saw the C5 spy photos I went to my Chevy dealer and ordered a black on black 6 speed... before even driving one.
Since I was the third in Sarasota, Florida to take delivery on my C5, I felt like a celebrity... people would follow me into parking lots wanting to know if it was some new Ferrari!
It was in sevice a few times the first year for computer module upgrades, but not much more. For 5 years it was bullet-proof, no squeaks or rattles (the C4 squeaked after 6 months) and every time I got in C5 and turned the key I got woodage.
I have owned 5 Vettes since 69 and at the time was driving a 94 coupe. I was not dissapointed! It was light years ahead of the 94 in every respect. I now own a 03 black on black ZO6, eagerly awaiting my now on order 06 Machine Silver Metallic ZO6!

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but bubblehead, I just wanted to acknowledge your car. I love Polo and Bowling Green Metallic!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMHO, the C5 Coupe is the most beautiful Vette on the planet. Back in high school [Class of '79] I loved the Stingrays but lost any interest in Vettes when the C4s came out. I rode in a C4 once and it was like sitting in a canoe.

I'm very dissappointed in the front fascia design of the C6. Plus, the C6 is way too Euro for my taste. I've seen Pics of a Blk C6 w/chrome center grill insert that does look good, yet have not seen one with this appearance mod in person. I am looking forward to the C6 Z06. The Z06 version has enough suttle differences/improvements over the C6 to go along with the awesome performance upgrades.

GM got it right with the exterior C5 styling, however the C6 is a sad attempt at cosmetic refinement.

*My apologies to any C4 & C6 Enthusiast that I may have offended. BTW, I wave at all Vettes... foreign & domestic. :laughing:

Save the Wave!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I liked it at first then my attention went to the Viper even though I cannot afford one, also because I see one park in the parking garage when I used to work in one of the downtown hospitals. Then my attention went back to Vettes when I started looking for a car, didn't really think that I could afford one but with thorough search I found the vehicle at a price I could afford and a new one too, unfortunately it only have the basic equipment which for a base-ly equipped C5 coupe is pretty equipped, but I like it overall.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't really like the C5 until they came out with the Z06. Then I feel in love! I never liked the C4. I like the C5 and the late C3 the best. The C6 is growing on me since the C6 Z06 has a different front i.e intake

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I first saw the C5 I didnt pay much attention to it. I couldnt drive yet nor could I afford one. I guess I always liked them when I saw them though. But when I was looking for my C4 I didnt really think much of them. But now after taking a closer look at them, I am planning on buying one in the next couple months, I guess they grew on me a bit cause now I love em! :partyon:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts