Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen other threads about this but I haven't been able to figure out what I need to do through those. I was hoping somebody could help knowing the details of my leak.

I have an oil leak on my 1999 Vette Coupe. I got it on a couple of jack stands and got under it. Unfortunately, I'm seeing oil everywhere, and there were a several spots that had fresh drips on them. I went ahead and cleaned up the oil and let the car sit overnight. The leak didn't continue, so I'm happy it's not a bad leak. I started the car and let it run for a couple of minutes and it didn't take long for the oil to run down.

So now I see a little drip right next to my oil filter. I wouldn't think it's the oil filter because the leak has been ongoing through multiple oil changes and multiple filter changes. I tried looking with a flashlight, but I can't see the source of the leak. It does look like it's coming from above the oil filter but it's hard to tell because I did not do a good job of cleaning there (my fat fingers can't get in there).

So my question is, where do I go next? I can't see any further above the oil filter when I'm under the car and I can't see anything looking from the top. Does anybody have any tips for me to further isolate this? Does anybody know what the most likely cause is from the location of the drip?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Question #1: Is your oil pressure gauge reading correctly or is it pegged at 80?

The proper way to diagnose a leak is to add the proper GM approved fluid to you oil and locate the origin of the leak with a black light (or whatever light they use). That is the quickest and most effective way to locate the leak. You will be searching and guessing all day until you do that.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If I had to guess I would say its from your oil pan gasket. does not appear to be from the top end or the main seals.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
It's pegged at 80.
If it has been pegged for a while, then it could be your EOP sensor. Look at my EOP sensor thread. It's a sticky at the top of this forum (C5 general). They leak after a while and it is on the same side of the engine as your oil filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. After I got under my car and cleaned up all of the oil, I cranked the car and watched it underneath to see where it was coming from. I found a slow leak coming from the seal right behind one of the bolts on the pan. The bolt was pretty loose, so I tightened the bolt down and that leak was fixed.

I cleaned it up again and cranked it. Found a different leak coming from up above. I just read through Junkman2008's thread about the EOP sensor. I'm pretty confident that's the problem I have left.

Btw, great work on the illustration! But, that's going to have to wait until next weekend...

·
Registered
521 Posts
These forums are a blessing when it comes to issues!

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. After I got under my car and cleaned up all of the oil, I cranked the car and watched it underneath to see where it was coming from. I found a slow leak coming from the seal right behind one of the bolts on the pan. The bolt was pretty loose, so I tightened the bolt down and that leak was fixed.

I cleaned it up again and cranked it. Found a different leak coming from up above. I just read through Junkman2008's thread about the EOP sensor. I'm pretty confident that's the problem I have left.

Btw, great work on the illustration! But, that's going to have to wait until next weekend...
The Junkman is pretty thorough. Just wait until you read his "grilling by the Junkman" thread.

:laughing:

Glad you found the source of your issues.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts

It seems a lot longer than it actually is because of all the pictures. Once you do it once, you'll realize how much simpler it is. I highly suggest the relocation kit. You don't want to have to do the whole thing twice. :thud:

The Junkman is pretty thorough. Just wait until you read his "grilling by the Junkman" thread.

:laughing:

Glad you found the source of your issues.
I've got to edit that thread to include my phone number so that people can call me when the food is ready. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts