Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
This was my first and only problem with this car and it was just out of warranty when it happened. I didn't want to pay the dealer price, so I went to a mechanic who is pretty well known. I'm sure he'll fix it for free, he's a pretty stand up guy. I think we should've used that UV dye before starting such a big job. Oh well, you live and you learn.
I highly recommend that dye. Remember, GM has specific dye for the oil, which is different for the antifreeze, which is different from other fluids. If you use dye, make sure it is GM approved for whatever you are using it in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I'm headed to the dealership right now. What I don't understand it. My mechanic had the whole engine out of the car. He replaced all the gaskets, wouldn't he have seen the leak when he removed my intake manifold and valve covers? I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want to sound like a know it all. Just seems like he should've seen the problem then. Oh well, thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Yeah I'm headed to the dealership right now. What I don't understand it. My mechanic had the whole engine out of the car. He replaced all the gaskets, wouldn't he have seen the leak when he removed my intake manifold and valve covers? I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want to sound like a know it all. Just seems like he should've seen the problem then. Oh well, thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Did you actually see the engine out of the car? The reason I ask is because one of the very first things a mechanic would have checked after starting the motor for the first time is the engine oil pressure. He should have seen the pegged needle and crapped on himself, unless he already knew it was bad. If he knew it was bad, he should have replaced it while the engine was out. It is a whole lot easier to do at that time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes it was sitting beside my Corvette for 2 months...lol. He gave me a huge discount on the labor though. I wouldn't go back to him if he wasn't willing to fix this problem for free. Just that I spent $1200 to have him replace the gaskets. :(

I think I just dealt with a mechanic who doesn't know Corvette's too well. I guess it's my fault too. I thought it was normal for the needle to be 3/4 the way to the right because it would always go back to about 40 after a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Here's how you check to see if the sender is haywire. Turn the key on but DON'T start the car. The gauges will all sweep and go back to zero. If the oil pressure is showing pressure then your gauge is bad. How do I know that?

Because a engine that is not running can not create oil pressure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haha makes sense. I'm going to try that right now. Just added the oil dye and gave it the beans driving home. I'll check it out with the UV light tomorrow. Thanks man!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I turned on the key, and the oil pressure does go back to 0. Crap and I thought that was the last thing that could've gone wrong. I put the vette on the ramps and looked under the car and I don't think the dye has come through yet. The oil just looks green, but it isn't brighter in any specific parts yet. I'll check it again tomorrow. Although it does appear that the highest part of the leak is right underneath the throttlebody between the intake manifold and engine. I'm taking it back to my mechanic tomorrow and hope we can figure this out.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You shouldn't be able to see the dye without some kind of light, I think. Did you use a GM approved dye?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You shouldn't be able to see the dye without some kind of light, I think. Did you use a GM approved dye?
Yeah I have the UV flashlight. I've never used it before so I don't know how long I'm supposed to wait before I should notice something. I'm just checking daily lol.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
It totally depends on how bad the leak is, as to when you will see the source. Checking it daily is a smart thing to do as you want to see the first signs of the leak. That way, you pin point exactly where it is. If you wait too long, it could whip around with the air flow and look like it's leaking everywhere.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Check out this picture:

Looks like the oil pan is leaking right? Wrong. The oil pressure sensor, which is way up on the top/back of the engine was leaking. The leak ran all the way down the back of the engine and the wind whipped the oil all over the pan. Improper diagnosis would have you replace the oil pan, one hell of a job even for a GM technician as well as a costly one. The actual fix is less than 2 hours labor and a lot cheaper to do, with no special tools required.

I would do as Patrick suggested and actually locate the leak instead of guessing at the repair. As C4C5 pointed out, you could have just opened up more problems from improper diagnosis and repair.

Good Point

21 - 32 of 32 Posts