Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 1998 C5 6 speed.

To name a few cars that I have driven to compare my coupe to are as follows. 02 Cobra, 02 GT, 04 GTO 01 SS Camaro, 06 Z51 coupe. So after driving these cars I feel that compared to Mustangs my car is faster and handles better, Mustangs feel like I'm driving an s10 pickup truck with a v8. Compared to a Z51, with the exception of horse power my car handles the same. The Camaro SS and the GTO again my car is faster, and handles better. The point I'm trying to get to is I feel GM over engineered the c5, because up until 2009 a 98 corvette could compete with most of the cars that were coming out. (If I bought this car new for $45000 bucks I would expect this.) Now a days of course you can buy a car with 500 hp out of the factory, but when it comes to a vette the suspension and engine designs are so close to the C5 you could directly bolt in most of the c6 parts right into a c5 flawlessly.

This post is not to start a fight with C6 guys or Mustang and Camaro guys. I'm just wondering how many people out there feel the same way or dont?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I love the car

But I feel they Over wired the car

Way too much wiring for a performance car....

I have no use for electric windows, seats,locks and all the rest of the Doo Dadds they add to these cars

When the day comes I want all those amenities I'll buy a Cadillac :nuts:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am not a fan of alot of the electronic stuff, the memory feature, the digital AC panel, the mass of wiring around the car.
You look under the battery and there is a rats nest of wiring. The Serial wiring is the biggest pain to troubleshoot.

I need to get a new AC panel because it cant keep memory right. The right door module sometimes forgets where I want the mirror and keeps panning out, then throwing a code. My radio throws codes too. Why does the Radio need to report to the BCM anyway and have its own DTC section?

Did the throttle cable really add that much weight to the car that it needed to be removed? You added how much wiring and components to get a fly by wire throttle. I dont see the gain, you just added complexity.

·
Registered
846 Posts
No doubt, they "got it right" with the C5. They are fantastic cars. It speaks volumes to the C6 engineering that they were able to improve on such an awesome design and implementation.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No doubt, they "got it right" with the C5. They are fantastic cars. It speaks volumes to the C6 engineering that they were able to improve on such an awesome design and implementation.

The c5 and c6 corvettes have spoiled my taste for many other cars. This is not a bad thing im proud to be a Vette owner. I could never not own one. And I absolutely love the fact that my 12 year old junk can blow away allot of competition on the road. And I love it even more when I here some dude with a Neon or a WRX say they blew away a Z06, then I stomp them with my stock coupe.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I love the car

But I feel they Over wired the car

Way too much wiring for a performance car....

I have no use for electric windows, seats,locks and all the rest of the Doo Dadds they add to these cars

When the day comes I want all those amenities I'll buy a Cadillac :nuts:
So buy a Mosler.

I will keep my electric windows, door locks(with remote), and dual zone climate control.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
So buy a Mosler.

I will keep my electric windows, door locks(with remote), and dual zone climate control.
I agree. There's nothing like having to lean across the passenger seat to roll down the window so that you can holler at a hot piece of ass. I do that in my El Camino. I don't want to do it in my Vette.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. There's nothing like having to lean across the passenger seat to roll down the window so that you can holler at a hot piece of ass. I do that in my El Camino. I don't want to do it in my Vette.
I can agree with this, I want at least power windows, keyless entry, power steering and a/c. Oh yea and a V8 with a 6 speed , they can keep the rest.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
c5.... ahead of its time..... timeless design

I love everything about the car, wouldnt change a thing, thats what makes it a c5..
10 years from now the cars exterior design will still look rad. And the LS1 is the bomb! The first of the LSx motors.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
c5.... ahead of its time..... timeless design

I love everything about the car, wouldnt change a thing, thats what makes it a c5..
10 years from now the cars exterior design will still look rad. And the LS1 is the bomb! The first of the LSx motors.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Agreed most of the people I talk to about my car who dont know Corvettes, think my car is brand new. And they dont believe how old it really is. Not bad for a 12 year old sports car.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The C5 has sever al distinct advantages over the other cars you mentioned. #1 being that the Corvette is built as a body-on-frame type design as opposed to unit-body construstion that the other cars you mentioned uses. This will make the car more rigid and isolates the suspension better than unit-body construction uses. #2 is that the corvette uses Short/long A-arm type of suspension front anad rear. This adds more rigidity to the suspension and allows for greater control of movements under suspension travel. The other cars use a MacPherson type suspension in the front and solid axle in the rear (except the GTO which uses a front pivoting, single A-arm with IRS). The benefits of what you get using the unit-body over struts-live axle are obviously cost.

...So compared to the other cars you mentioned, yes the Corvette is quite over-engineered. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
591 Posts
I am not a fan of alot of the electronic stuff, the memory feature, the digital AC panel, the mass of wiring around the car.
You look under the battery and there is a rats nest of wiring. The Serial wiring is the biggest pain to troubleshoot.

I need to get a new AC panel because it cant keep memory right. The right door module sometimes forgets where I want the mirror and keeps panning out, then throwing a code. My radio throws codes too. Why does the Radio need to report to the BCM anyway and have its own DTC section?

Did the throttle cable really add that much weight to the car that it needed to be removed? You added how much wiring and components to get a fly by wire throttle. I dont see the gain, you just added complexity.
check your grounds...

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Can't be "Over-Engineered"... they started with nothing more than an Oil Pressure Sensor and built an entire car around it!
:crazy:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't be "Over-Engineered"... they started with nothing more than an Oil Pressure Sensor and built an entire car around it!
:crazy:
Take apart the oil pressure sensor that sucker is over engineered as well. theres more stuff in that thing than my cell phone.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I loved my 02 ZO6 and think the 97-04 are great cars. I like "factory fast" cars and when I drove my buddys 06Z in 06 it made my 02 Z feel like a pig.:laughing: The LS7 ZO6 is a rocket on the freeway. Next Feb. my Z is 3 years old and I still love it.:D

BLK 1 :buhbye:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Take apart the oil pressure sensor that sucker is over engineered as well. theres more stuff in that thing than my cell phone.
:laughing:

I loved my 02 ZO6 and think the 97-04 are great cars. I like "factory fast" cars and when I drove my buddys 06Z in 06 it made my 02 Z feel like a pig.:laughing: The LS7 ZO6 is a rocket on the freeway. Next Feb. my Z is 3 years old and I still love it.:D

BLK 1 :buhbye:
:agree: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
591 Posts
Ive owned the car for about 4 years now, I have cleaned the grounds twice since ;) Think they are good
Damn.....
have you checked the harness where it goes through the door into the car ?
how about the main harness connections for corrosion ?

·
Banned
591 Posts
:laughing:
why in hell is there a circuit board in there ?:thud:

·
Banned
591 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts