Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arizona, and our summers are very hot, around 110-115 degrees! I've owned this C5 for almost 3 years. And every summer I run into overheating. I have not been able to figure out the problem. Coolant levels are always perfect, relays checked out, both fans come on and they seem to change speeds at the right temperature. I keep the air filter clean and it is a cold air intake system. Most day I can't even make it home; which is about a 20 minute trip "in town," before it reaches 230 degrees. It even runs that hot on an open freeway. During the winter here (if you want to call it a winter), it runs perfect, generally about 200-220 degrees. The only thing I haven't changed is the thermostat. I previously had C4 that ran hot as well, very similar issues, and I had changed out the radiator and thermostat on the C4 without improvement. Other than the thermostat, does anyone have any ideas? Anyone else having the same issues with the LS1?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,478 Posts
Is the radiator and AC condenser clean and free of trash to allow good airflow? Is the radiator clogged internally in any way. Even with good airflow if it is clogged it won't cool efficiently. just a few thing to think about

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are. I haven't had the radiator flushed. I was wondering about "burping" the radiator. And reservations about trying that?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
the punisher

I would imagine living in Arizona you would get a lot more sand and dust debris in your radiator and condensor. May want to have it thoroughly cleaned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For $167.00 in ebay I got a aluminium two row radiator and with some easy mods it fit great. I live near 29 Palms with temps near your and with the ac on I run 199 to 207. Stock fans and stock thermostat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take it to a tuner and have him set the fans to come on at a lower temp. in the ECU.This should keep it a little cooler.
My C5 ran at 230 before the ECU was changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might want to check the area between the radiator and the AC coil. Even if you flush water through the radiator and it seems like a good flow, you maybe surprised how much junk is still stuck in that area. One tip I found years ago was to take a old hose, plug the end and then drill a series of holes in the hose for about 2 feet. Loosen up the AC coil from the radiator to can get about a 1 1/2" space between them. Put the hose with the hole drilled in it between them and turn the water on. Then just move it around until you see the water spraying out both ways to your liking. I went a little further a made the same thing out of a piece of 1/2" copper pipe. It was much easier to move around with more control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts