Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights on my 98 seem to have developed a time delay on fully opening. Sometimes they will open correctly as soon as you turn the switch and other times it can take from 5 seconds to 5 minutes before they open. There seems to be nothing I can do externally to change whenever it decides to open. I can jiggle the light switch stalk, turn it on and off several times, drive it, tap on the headlights and nothing different happens. I have taken the connectors under the hood and cleaned and siloconed them and nothing seems to effect it. Sometimes they will work fine for days and other times they will work the first time and then the rest of the evening I may have to wait. Once I got impatient and got out and manually opened the lights but I found out that will not turn them on. i drove a few blocks and they came on and when I got home they closed themseleves when I turned the scwith off and they stayed in sycn. Anyone have a similiar problem or any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
No grinding or other noises? If not, sounds like the headlamp control module.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have not heard any grinding noises but I have heard the motor whirl ocassionally but sometimes it works fine so I was hesitant to start changing parts. Is there a way to check the headlight module? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Did you inspect all the connectors?? Theres two at the module and one for each motor, the motor ones are good for getting corroded.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Maven. I only checked and cleaned the wiring connectors on top of the fender well by the headlights. I will check the others if I can find them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a inexpensive trouble shooting manual for C5s? I am not a mechanic but I need to know where somethings are that I can fix, such as the frame ground connections and the light control modules. Thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You can order the factory service manual for your '98 for about $135, its 3 volumes and has all the information in it that I have at the dealer(same exact book) and provides locations of grounds, slpices, modules, all circuitry,engine, brakes, hvac, accesories, restraints, etc, etc,etc..... Its not setup as an owner type troubleshooting manual so it may be a little overwhelming til you understand how its laid out and how to best utilize the truly massive amount of information in it, but there isnt any other resource with more detailed info available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turns out that I had a bad light swith so $600.00 later they are working fine. Thanks for your help.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Sorry you had to pay so much for the repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts