Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Vette Owner,

Waited 40 years (plates are: 40YR W8) and bought a 2000, C5 with 12,300 miles. Put on just under 8K this season and was told when I got it ready for winter storage (upstate NY) that I would need new tires in the spring. Rears are worn to just about the wear marks and the fronts need to be replaced due to alignment problem on the right side. Tires are mounted on Z06 chrome "knockoffs." Seems premature to me but....

Looking for suggestions on both the need to replace and what type to buy for general road/touring use. The originals are factory installed Goodyear EMT, F1 runflats.

Help!!!???

RC

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought my 2000' with 16,000mi. on it and I now have 28,000mi. on it. I have fun with the car but I don't waste my rears by doing burnouts or the front's by hard cornering. Looks like I should easily get another 5,000mi. out of them. I heard that this is a rare occurance but they are doing fine. I am going to try out the Yokohama runflats next or maybe the Firestone's. Can't decide which. I like the tread on both and have heard good things about both. It will come down to funds when the time arrives.:buhbye:
BTW, I lke the GM runflats but I would like the ride to be a little softer which is why I am going to another tire.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i think any brand of run-flat is better than the stock one's.i'm going to try the Perrlii run-flat's.mainly,because i'm going with 19s all around the car,and Perrili make's ton's of size's.19s also...:smokin:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,761 Posts
WELCOME to digitalcorvette. Hope you like it here. I've got a 2k with about 18000 on it. Not babied but not completely ragged out. Looks like I've got about 5000 more left in them. I'll probably go with a soft compound vs a hard one. Better ride, better traction. Don't really know what brand yet. Will start looking for deals next spring. Hope you enjoyed your 8000 miles

·
Obsessive Customizer
535 Posts
WELCOME! My 2000 now has 55,000 on her. I don't burm the tires but I do drive her good! I have always put Eagle's on all my vettes and did so with this one as well. (For me) they have been incredible on this car. Good comfortable ride and "grabbing" capability A+++ when I need it. The F1's are great.

Hope you enjoy yours and "SAVE THE WAVE!"

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
My son put Firestone Firehawks on his 2000 before he sold it. Much quieter and "softer" ride than the originals, I'd recommend them. They are a little narrower than originals.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Tires change so fast anymore and so does DOT specs, I wouldn't worry about it 'till spring. Some brand we've never heard of might be the best tire in 4 months. Yokohama used to be only in JC Whitney. Toyo's were a JOKE years ago ect...ect...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the knockoffs as well and went with Falken 451's in stock sizes. I paid 540 bucks shipped to my door. Very aggressive tread pattern and just an outstanding tire. Would highly recommend you checking them out before you dump all your money on the others :D Good luck and welcome:cheers:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
TIKTGTR said:
I have the knockoffs as well and went with Falken 451's in stock sizes. I paid 540 bucks shipped to my door. Very aggressive tread pattern and just an outstanding tire. Would highly recommend you checking them out before you dump all your money on the others :D Good luck and welcome:cheers:
:agree: :agree:
I've put those Falkin tires on several cars, high hp f-body's with no complaints and they seemed to last pretty good.... I'm no stranger to 4 wheel drift and smokey burn-outs and they held-up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you that responded to my question. The answers although varied give me something to look into this winter so we can come out with a solution around 4/15...when hopefullly the last of the snow and salt is gone!!!

There are a couple of Yokahama users in the neighborhood as well as Firestones. I guess I will have to buy a couple of beers to further my investigation.

Thanks again.

Great site with really timely, polite and helpful response !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got 39000, out of mine tire's replace with "Kumho"s" Ecsta MX's but they have runflat's now. The Kumho's are good tire's at a real good price. "Tire Rack'" has good price's.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Goodyear F1 Supercar tyres are an incredible upgrade to the Corvette.
One thing to note though, they are NOT runflats.

If you need and/or must have runflats then you can discount these tyres from your shoppping list, BUT if you want a great performance tyre, a nice change from the runflats as far as lower road noise is concerned also, then these might be for you.

I replaced EMT's on my coupe with the Supercars and would never think of going back to the EMT's. Very superior performance and quietness was a fringe benefit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:agree: My original stock tires were Goodyear F1 Supercar, and when I hit 35,000 miles I replaced them with the same kind. I was very impressed with the durability and the overall performance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got rid of the Good Year Run Craps ! Now I have a set of TIRES on the 99 6mn coupe. I can hear the stereo and unfortunately I can also now hear my wife. MICHELIN'S -- Pilot Sport - A/S - Z/P's. A smooth ride and QUIET like you wouldn't believe. Handles like their on a track. Put them on at 40,000 miles and now have 58,000. I can't believe that some of the owners actually find anything good about Good Years. The Michelin's cost me $1189.00 at Discount Tire in Macomb MI., professionally balanced and installed on the car. I couldn't be more satisfied. That's my 2 cts.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Are the Pilots run flats? I have a problem with not using run flats w/out a spare. I'd rather have the noise of the Goodyears but know I can drive home with a flat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Poncherollo - Yes they are Run - Flats. Michelin calls them Z/P which stands for Zero Pressure. The pilot model tires are also offered as Non - Run Flats. They are fantastic tires, the Z/P that is. Good Luck !

·
Registered
897 Posts
Micheline pilot a/s

The Big Guy said:
Hi Poncherollo - Yes they are Run - Flats. Michelin calls them Z/P which stands for Zero Pressure. The pilot model tires are also offered as Non - Run Flats. They are fantastic tires, the Z/P that is. Good Luck !
Love Michelin. Had them on a Mustang (handling was superb) and a Dodge Ram. But was curious about the Pilot as a replacement for the Eagles. So thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts