Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting a new Z06 for a track car, but I am also looking into a used C5, prob going to mod it too. What should I look for in the used car? Anything to look for that should be a warning not to buy it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
If you are looking for a C5, go for the '02 and up Z. There is more base car to start with. Personally I'd shy away from '01 Z's due to their oil consumption problems

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I may be getting a new Z06 for a track car, but I am also looking into a used C5, prob going to mod it too. What should I look for in the used car? Anything to look for that should be a warning not to buy it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Get any C5 you want. HP doesn't matter on the track, skills and setup do. It's hardly uncommon to see 300 hp cars spanking 600 hp cars.

If I wanted another track car I'd get a high mile base C5 coupe or FRC. Then I'd rip out the leaf springs and put on Pfadt Racing adjustable coil overs and adjustable sway bars and get a set of R compound tires.

Totally investment will be under $20k, and you'll have the time of your life.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
622 Posts
Get any C5 you want. HP doesn't matter on the track, skills and setup do. It's hardly uncommon to see 300 hp cars spanking 600 hp cars.

If I wanted another track car I'd get a high mile base C5 coupe or FRC. Then I'd rip out the leaf springs and put on Pfadt Racing adjustable coil overs and adjustable sway bars and get a set of R compound tires.

Totally investment will be under $20k, and you'll have the time of your life.:thumbsup:
:agree:

·
Registered
402 Posts
My track car (and daily driver) is a 2001 Coupe. And yes, it does burn oil. Although it lacks the power of a Z06, I'm able to keep up with most of the other Corvettes on the track (I even passed a few C6 Z06's). The nice thing about the Coupe is that it holds lots of stuff. I just bolt on the R-compound tires/wheel combo at home and drive to the track. Highway driving doesn't really wear the tires compared to lapping the track.

It's too bad that the C5 Z06 didn't come with a hatchback, otherwise I would have bought it instead of the Coupe. Mechanically, 2002, 2003, 2004 C5 Z06's are probably the best track day cars. You just can't pack as much stuff.

Here's what I take to the track (and it all fits in the car):

Full size image at: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/showphoto.php/photo/50714/size/big/cat//ppuser/51410

Enjoy.
Roy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks
That's exactly the info I was looking for. My P cars are insane at the track but I think I would have more fun in a much less expensive car. Plenty of inexpensive mods available for the C5s too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next NOOB question

I test drove an 03 Z06 today. What should I know about the difference between an 03 and an 04? If an 04 still had some warranty that would make a difference.

This part is pure rant.
WTF do the car lot lakkies seem to think that putting Armorall on the steering wheel is OK?
The salesman was old. How old? Past drool cup old. Good for him though. I kinda flinched when the rear hatch would not quite open and he used the dealer plate to pry it open(ouch my fakkin paint). Then he plopped the plate ontop of the Vette nearby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts