Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little tussle with a BMW Z4 M Roadster today and the Vette held it own no problem!

So I'm on my way home from work and the car in front is a Z4 M with the 4 exhausts out the back and the M badge!. so I stay pretty close to see if he will play. When the car in front of him move s out the way he started to go pretty quick so I matched him to about 60mph.

Now just over the next rise there is a favorite place for a mobile speed camera van so he takes it easy until he saw it was clear then he nailed it and got the jump on me a little because I was expecting him to floor it I just didn't know when.

So I floor the Vette and I catching him no problem we are at about 90 ish.
The traffic lights ahead are on stop and there is a car in each lane so play time is over. We both have our windows down and he moves to the inside lane to chat.

He says that's a bit of a beastie isn't it. I say yeh about 345hp similar to yours, I then tell him 0-60mph is 5 seconds and tops out 173mph is says wow! I say not bad for 15 grand ($28,000) he says it looks a lot more then that. I suppose a Z4 M runs about 40 grand plus! (That's $75,000 to you guys!)

The Vette was all over him. I think he expected to drop me when he floored it!

I think the Z4 M has the same engine as the BMW M3 I think 3.2 338hp I just looked at the specs and it's 0-60mph is 4.6 top speed is limited to 155mph in the UK! 13.6 1/4 mile.

So while I never beat the Z4 the Vette held it own! :devil:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
From Edmonds.com
Because of a major update for 2006, Z4 models from this year and onwards are a better choice than earlier models, if price is no object. This update included the mid-year release of the coupe body style, the 215-hp and 255-hp engines, and the six-speed automatic. Other changes to the BMW sports car included a retuned standard suspension for better ride quality, a higher final-drive ratio for improved acceleration, new wheel designs, additional braking functionality for the stability control system, updated front and rear styling and minor interior trim updates.

From 2003-'05, BMW Z4 models were identified as either 2.5i or 3.0i. The 2.5i has a 2.5-liter, inline six-cylinder engine that makes 184 hp, while the 3.0i uses a 3.0-liter straight six that 225 hp. For transmissions, there is a five-speed manual (standard on the 2.5), a six-speed manual (standard on the 3.0), a five-speed automatic or, as on the M3, a six-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG). There were a few minor changes made during this period in terms of feature content, but none of them were significant enough to make one model year more desirable than another

Are you sure it wasn't a Z8?

Jr.

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
My bad:crazy: It's an M, with 338 horses. That's a good battle:thumbsup:

Jr.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Surprisingly for the "ultimate driving machine" these things are pigs at the track. S2000s and Spec Miatas eat them up at Texas World Speedway. The only place the M has them is on the long straight and not enough of an advanatge to make up for the lead the Hondas and Mazdas get in the infield.

:cheers:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah and the M guys I bet are replacing tires and brakes after hot lapping and the Spec Miata guys are washing the windshields!:rolling:

·
Registered
687 Posts
The Z4M is a slug. I drove one at the BMW Performance center during an M School event at the Spartanburg, SC track. The car drives nice, but has no torque compared to the vette.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C6-R JR, I see you corrected your post. Z8 very rare in the UK! I have only ever seen one on TV.

Z4 common as muck, Z4 M not some many of those around!
Z4 was one of the cars I was considering when I changed from the 99 Z28 to the C5. I had a limited budget so I could have a 2.5 Z4.

It good to know the C5 is faster than a Z4 M as Vette's are not retricted in Europe unlike all the BMW's 155mph.,oh and it's better looking!

Not that I ever get anywhere near that to many speed cameras and plain clothes Police cars here!

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Z4 is arguably one of the best-designed bodies to come from BMW in years. Although the Z8 is more sensuous, it is a has-been in the cornering department. And it's ludicrously expensive.

But neither of these Bavarian drop tops has the torque and off-the-line response of a late-model Corvette. Time and again, it's worth repeating that horsepower is all the rage, but torque is what wins.

We on this side of the Atlantic salute you as you carry the flag Over There.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Z4 is arguably one of the best-designed bodies to come from BMW in years. Although the Z8 is more sensuous, it is a has-been in the cornering department. And it's ludicrously expensive.

But neither of these Bavarian drop tops has the torque and off-the-line response of a late-model Corvette. Time and again, it's worth repeating that horsepower is all the rage, but torque is what wins.

Thanks, this Vette is outstanding through the bends is glued to the road. It's the best car I can buy for my budget. I love it! In a few years time maybe I will be able to have a C6.

The Vette gets a lot of looks over here and I even see 911 drivers looking at the car trying to work out what it is!

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Thanks, this Vette is outstanding through the bends is glued to the road. It's the best car I can buy for my budget. I love it! In a few years time maybe I will be able to have a C6.

The Vette gets a lot of looks over here and I even see 911 drivers looking at the car trying to work out what it is!
When I put PFADT Fatty Sways on my car it was like night and day. There is so much more rubber on the ground when your suspension/tires stay planted.

The PFADTs are only slight more than the T1s and you get so much more:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts

z8 spins 3rd gear, at least it does when im driving. It has plenty of torque, and with the governer removed (easy fix) its quite competitve on the freeway.

BTW. Torque doesnt win races. HP= power over time which is far more important, thats why 600cc sport bikes slaughter all the big torque low revving bikes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Z8's are solidly in the 12's...but so are the C6's.

·
Registered
883 Posts
2000 BMW Z8

General Info
Price: $128,000
Miles Per Gallon: 14/23 mpg
Curb Weight: 3600 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: V8
Displacement: 4941 cc
Horsepower: 394 bhp @ 6600 rpm
Torque: 369 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 4.2 sec
0-100 mph: 10.2 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.6 sec @ 112 mph
Skidpad: .92g
Top Speed: 155 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 116 ft
Slalom Speed: 61.3 mph

Those drivers obviously were not well versed in the S62 V8....these times are very comparable to a LS2 Z51 C6...except for they usually pull more mph.

·
Registered
386 Posts
z8 spins 3rd gear, at least it does when im driving. It has plenty of torque, and with the governer removed (easy fix) its quite competitve on the freeway.

BTW. Torque doesnt win races. HP= power over time which is far more important, thats why 600cc sport bikes slaughter all the big torque low revving bikes.

I stand by my assertion that the Z8, or at least the Alpina Z8, is a has-been in the cornering department. Given its specifications, it underperformed on the BBC Top Gear track. Check the rankings here:

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts