Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: 2003 C5 coupe, M6, only mod is B&B Fusion exhaust

Just happened to me yesterday. I went for a drive(car started fine). I made a quick stop and when I came back out the the car it started but then quickly died. I then tried to start it again and it was turning over but would not fire. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and tried again and it started with no issues. Then I drove it home. After parking in the garage I shut it off and tried to start it again. Once again it fired but then died right away. Then trying to start it again it would crank but not fire.

I check the codes and there were none.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mine would stall and was hard to start,had a bad gas cap.Good luck with this problem.:thumbsup:I also had no codes.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Sometimes, the codes take a bit to show. Keep checking. Also, make sure that everything is turned off when you try to start the car (especially the AC). Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Juts got back from another drive. The car had been sitting most of the day. It started up just fine, went for the drive, and parked it in the garage. After I turned it off and tried to start it same thing happened. It fired and then immediately died. Then tried to start it again and all it would do is crank.

I checked again for codes and there are none.

·
Registered
362 Posts
check the fuel injector harness on the driver's side of the engine. Follow the harness where it goes behind the engine. See the bracket that the fuel rail is on? Make sure the harness hasn't worn through and cut on that bracket. It might be hard to spot, so look close. Mine did the same thing the first damn week i owned mine, same exact symptoms. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
This problem is definitely heat related. I had a coil in my hot rod create the same issue. With the possibility that WDTiger has mentioned, I have heard of that also. The difference was that the car and dash lights would go haywire while you were driving when the short happened. It is still worth a look since his problem was similar to yours. See pics below.

Move and inspect that bend in the harness. If that isn't the issue, report back.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My car did similar things. It was the fuel pump relay, car is one warranty, so the GM Mechanics found the problem after it was towed in.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
My car did similar things. It was the fuel pump relay, car is one warranty, so the GM Mechanics found the problem after it was towed in.
That sounds a lot more probable as heat is the determining factor in his car not restarting.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the wire that you showed in the pics. Everything looks fine with it. No signs of ware.

·
Registered
410 Posts
if you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to on, but start the car (or try to) and it wont fire up, the culprit might be the starter. thats what happened to mine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Use a fuel pressure gauge tool and see what the PSI is at left fuel rail, should be 58 PSI when cranking.

Does the security light flash on dash correctly as maybe a VATs issue and when hot PCM is going into a VATs fault mode.

Check when cranking if oil pressure reports as if not PCM would refuse to then start engine.

Could be the solenoid for starter is warping when hot

Use a fuel injector voltage tester, if have correct fuel rail pressure and injector tester flashes, also get a sparkplug wire tested.
If both flash then you have fuel pressure, have spark and injectors are being commanded on then either starter solenoid, VATs or maybe a neutral/park safety switch out of alignment when hot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just had a very similar problem with my '99. Turned out to be the ignition switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts