Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times since I bought my '09, I have received a check engine light. In every case, it has been a loose gas cap. If I tightened the cap, the light would go out within a day. About a week ago the light came on and I checked the cap. It was clearly broken because it would not tighten at all. Even though it's still in warranty, I wanted to avoid a couple days in the shop to get a new cap so I bought one at the Chevy dealer for $23. It tightened fine, and I expected the light to go out pretty soon, but after 3 days, it's still on. Is there a way to reset that light so I can see if it will stay away? I don't know the procedure for checking codes or anything, and I can take it to Chevy if I need to , but was hoping it was something simple so I could avoid the shop time. All gauges are normal and it feels perfectly normal.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
On my car the Light thrown from a loose Gas Cap goes out after 3 start cycles. You can reset the light if you have a scan tool or a shop could do it for you while verifying the only issue is the gas cap. I am in Houston this week or I would meet you and read/reset it for you.

:cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my car the Light thrown from a loose Gas Cap goes out after 3 start cycles. You can reset the light if you have a scan tool or a shop could do it for you while verifying the only issue is the gas cap. I am in Houston this week or I would meet you and read/reset it for you.

I've probably started it a dozen times since I put the new cap on it. The Chevy dealer is close to my office. I'll probably just drop it off on the way to work one day. Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
You only know the CES light is on and not what the codes are

It could be with bad cap caused engine misfires
Cap replaced but it takes longer for misfire DTC to age out from a current to history state

Everyone should own a OBD scanner or at least a DTC reader

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
You only know the CES light is on and not what the codes are

It could be with bad cap caused engine misfires
Cap replaced but it takes longer for misfire DTC to age out from a current to history state

Everyone should own a OBD scanner or at least a DTC reader
:agree:

If you want to avoid the hassle of the dealership, you need a scanner or Tech2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts