·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Outta the way rollover protection

I am 95% there in terms of buying a c6 convertible. My big hang-up is it's lack of rollover protection. I would consider a coupe, but the thought of having get out of the car and mess around with the targa top every time I needed to secure it would not be acceptable. I like the rollbar at the top of this thread - it's beautiful - but it takes up too much precious cabin space. Are there any other solutions out there for the convertible?? I don't need a racing bar - a compact 4 or even 2 point bar would be fine. Why does such a fine car come from the factory without rollover protection of some kind??? I don't get it!

Thanks in advance from a wannabe Corvette owner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s why I got the convertible; I love the open top and just having to push a button to get it.

I am 5'11" and have little problem with it. They have redesigned the bar to come right up the back and get back most lost space. (They have my car now and they are also building cross frame support to really limit any chassis flex.). I'll have pictures of that by the weekend. Now I should loose less than 2". B4 it was almost 5" behind the seats.

Something made to make NHRA or SCCA NCCC guidelines is going to protect you a lot better than something less secure or hoops that are more decorative than anything else. Let’s face it, if you’re going to flip that car you’re talking a lot of force on the way down. 4 points to the frame and 4130 Chromoly is the way to go for that car on the street.

Painted to match the car makes it looks like the car came with it.

The roll bar did make a noticeable difference in stiffness.

I also noticed that I misspelled convertible at the head of this thread....

Sorry :smack

I don't know how far you are, but I'll be in MD at Ripkin Stadium the 17-21st for the East Region Spectacular if you’d like to see the Bar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why does such a fine car come from the factory without rollover protection of some kind??? I don't get it!

Thanks in advance from a wannabe Corvette owner.
I'm not an expert in this area but I think there is some protection. I've seen pictures of large objects (pick-ups and cars) supported by the windshield frame. Granted, this won't protect you in all circumstances but it is protection. I'm not worried at all while cruising around Frederick County roads in my convertible. It might be a different story if I tracked the car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys.

Mike - you mentioned "roll hoops" - is ther anything like that available for a C6 convertible? I'm 6'2", 240 lbs. and need all of the room I can get. I would want something that is strictly behind the seats & .
Years ago, I installed a Hard Dog rollbar in a Miata. It was a really nice, tight fitting bar. I fit fine before the bar - not too well afterwards - mostly due to shoulder room. I sold it just a few months later.
In another thread, I asked about a carbon fiber or other super-lightweight targa top for a C6 coupe. Is there anything like that out there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just found out some bad news, any car faster than 13.99 and a convertible is required to have a roll bar. Is there anything new on this subject? I rather the looks of the behind the head rest roll hoops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts