Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my vette but I am so sick of the poor quality and design of the trim and “details”.

Both the glove box and center console locking (latching) mechanisms have failed; fixed now. BUT it is the convertible top that really pisses me off.

Weeks ago the little trunk lid caught on the cables and strings that are part of the inner liner and ripped them free. The actual damage is broken strings. I took the car to a top-shop and was told the repair was to replace the entire liner. The purpose of the cables is to retrain the rear pieces of the liner so that it foldes up properly during closing. If I did not mind tucking the loose ends down there is no other impact to ignoring the damage. So I manually tucked the ends of the liner down while putting the top down.

Last week I noticed that on the driver side the liner had separated and I can look up and see the bottom of the canvas through a 1/8” gap above the driver’s window. I stop back at the top-shop to see what is up. I am told this failure is unrelated to the broken strings and he has seen 4 of these recently. The cause is shrinkage of the liner material and again the only repair is to replace the liner. The top-shop owner tells me the convertable vette top has one of the poorest designs he has worked on. I drive with the top down (almost always) so I say ****-it, I will live with the crappy liner.

Yesterday I stop at the mall. It is bright sunshine with isolated big black clouds everywhere. The weather report calls for 40% chance of rain so I really need to put the top up. The top goes half-way up lid opens and then nothing. The hydraulic motor whins, the lid stays and up top will not move (it is not full up at this point). I manage to get the top back down.

I drive like a mad man to the dealer and I drive directly into their garage as it is drizzling rain at this point. Repeated efforts by myself and a mechanic cannot get the top up.

Dealer says there is a failed component; I hope to get it back today.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the same car, but I don't have any problems with it. Albeit, the top does stop mid-point every once in a while, but as soon as I release and repress the button, the roof continues on. Sorry you are having trouble. I must say that I have had problems in the past with other Vetts, but my 2007 had been exceptional.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That really sucks.
I hope everything turns out well for you because the ragtop vettes are awesome supercars
Thanks, I do enjoy the car, like a sexy girl, it can be temperamental.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same car, but I don't have any problems with it. Albeit, the top does stop mid-point every once in a while, but as soon as I release and repress the button, the roof continues on. Sorry you are having trouble. I must say that I have had problems in the past with other Vetts, but my 2007 had been exceptional.

I hope it stays that way. I have 27,000 miles, not a lot but I do drive it almost every weekend.

If the biggest problem I have is with the roof and "details", I can live with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
top issues

Super_jim,
I'm sorry to hear you're having issue with your top. Please keep us updated the outcome of this situation. Also, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, comments or concerns.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wondering if your top is manual? Mine is automatic and watching it fold while going down is a lesson in precision timing. Perhaps, while folding your top manually your timing is off a bit. ( the folding of the front, back, window and going down )

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hope it stays that way. I have 27,000 miles, not a lot but I do drive it almost every weekend.

If the biggest problem I have is with the roof and "details", I can live with it.
Perhaps this is why I haven't had much trouble with the Vett. Since losing my job in late 2008, I average 2700 miles a year. I have 27k miles on as well. Good luck, I know how frustrating these issues can be.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Never had any problems with my top. Have had two C6 verts and they have always been good.
Nice to see GM customer support being proactive here... that is a good thing. Usually the dealer can make or break ones relationship with the car so if you get a good dealer ( with good mechanics !) that is priceless

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the automatic top option on the vert - the 'pressure relief vent nut' can get loose (and by 'loose' I mean not as tight as it should be - it won't be noticeably loose). It takes a 9mm allen wrench to tighten it up and it's located on the hydraulic motor behind the passenger seat (lift the tonneau cover up to expose the area and pull back the carpet.

My top was really slow for awhile - then almost non-responsive. I tightened up the nut and - presto - like new performance. It only took less than a quarter turn to make all the difference in the world.

Might not help you - might help someone else reading this. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wondering if your top is manual? Mine is automatic and watching it fold while going down is a lesson in precision timing. Perhaps, while folding your top manually your timing is off a bit. ( the folding of the front, back, window and going down )
Mine is an automatic as well, maybe semi-automatic is a better description.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Super_jim,
I'm sorry to hear you're having issue with your top. Please keep us updated the outcome of this situation. Also, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, comments or concerns.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Thanks for asking. :thumbsup:

I picked up the vette from the dealership last Friday, 10/14.

When I had brought it in the top would go down but only 1/2 of the way up. When I picked it up neither the top or the windows could be raised.:down:

I was told the regulator/controller behind the driver's door panel had been replaced and I could not raise the top or the windows until it was programmed. The technician said this could take most of a day.

I had to go to Raleigh NC for most of the following week (which was last week) and made an appointment to bring it in on Friday 10/21 (today).

It was freezing driving with the windows and top down at 7:30am this morning.

I picked the vette up today at 4:30pm. The top was up but I was told I cannot lower the top as it will not go back up again. This is where I was 2 weeks earlier except they had manged to get the top raised. It would appear the dealership fixed the wrong thing (more than likely fixed a working thing).

Anyway, a switch is on order, and I will be taking it back when they get the part.

Not a big deal, just a thing. I live in a little town and they likely do not get to work on many vettes. I will let them finish this job and find another dealership in Florence SC which is about 10 times bigger than my town.

·
Registered
627 Posts
With the automatic top option on the vert - the 'pressure relief vent nut' can get loose (and by 'loose' I mean not as tight as it should be - it won't be noticeably loose). It takes a 9mm allen wrench to tighten it up and it's located on the hydraulic motor behind the passenger seat (lift the tonneau cover up to expose the area and pull back the carpet.

My top was really slow for awhile - then almost non-responsive. I tightened up the nut and - presto - like new performance. It only took less than a quarter turn to make all the difference in the world.

Might not help you - might help someone else reading this. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I just saved it into my DIYS file. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ehhhhh ............. unless one want's to live with the 1LT which I can't. I do believe that the power top is mandated on the 2LT or higher option.
It has been well over a month since the last attempt of the local dealer to fix the vert top.

After numerous visits the final operation requires the window to be manually pulled tword the driver during operation or the lid scrapes, every time.

The dealership has replaced the regulator/computer and the related limit switch. The last time I took it in they sent it to a "top shop" that did nothing. The shop manager said he was going to do some research and get back to me. Apparently not.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Like always, where is Chevy Customer Support? They were quick to respond initially, but no responsive to solving the problem. That is the key distinctive between the appearance of Customer Support and real authentic Customer Support. They join a Forum to appear on the ball, but in reality are low tier web surfers that GM pays to increase their visibility and appearance of interest in their clientele. Pure marketing and nothing more. What GM doesn't realize is that it is negative marketing when they don't back it up!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not sure how far to push this. The vert lid scrapes on the window (unless I take action to grab the window and pull it farward) every time I raise or lower the top. The liner may be part of the problem, it was damaged by the lid, as described earlier in this thread.

I took it to a top shop in Hartsville SC today and was told there is no adjustment to be made.

I purchased the GM extended warrantie. The mechanical components of the top are covered. In this case the lid scraping is coveted. I have to admit it is no big deal to reach behind me and pull on the window during operation .

Opinions..., ignore it?

I took the car for a drive today, 68 degrees F., bright sunshine, top down, I do love the car. It turns a 50 yr old man into a adrenaline driven youth.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sure hope GM finds a fix for the C7. If not, this may be my last Corvette. I've grown weary of their b/s issues. Damn am I glad I don't own a Volt ! :rolling:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had a interesting experience this past weekend. I rented a 2013 vette manual convertible in Orlando. While traveling south on 91 at "highway" speeds I heard a loud bang and the top left the car!
I have done a search of some forums and didn't find anything that related to the speed where the car falls apart.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts