Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We own an '11 GS convertible with 15K miles and numerous ups and downs of the auto rag top. We get an annoying "bump" when raising the top because the rear window hits against the tonneau cover as the top returns. We are told it is because the elastic straps that support the rear window have worn and lost their elasticity. The "fix" is apparently to replace the straps, but they too will lose their elasticity in fairly short order and the "bump" will return. Don't know for certain if this is true, but it is consistent with what we observe operating the top.

We have attempted to learn whether or not their will be any long term effects other than the bumping noise and/or whether or not the rear window, tonneau or other components will eventually be damaged, but no one (that we have talked to) seems to know of any. If the only negative is the bump, we can live with that (and according to our information,we will have to). One can simply reach back and pull the window slightly forward as the tonneau passes downward and there is no bump.

We trudge on.

·
Administrator
10,211 Posts
I've been driving Corvettes daily for more than 30 years. All of this time in metropolitan So Cal. Over that period of time I have had ~five different Chevy dealers work on my various vettes. I HATE to take my vette in to a Chevy dealer for service because it's like playing craps in Vegas - most of the time I lose.

I've had them:
  • Break the face of my radio and claim it came in that way.
  • Scratch my custom painted console and claim it came in that way.
  • Return the car with the gear shift so far out of adjustment that I could not shift into 3rd gear.
  • Replace my clearly labeled "Do Not Change Filter" K&N with a paper filter.
  • Remove my custom license plate frame and replace it with one that has the Dealership name on it.
  • Not tighten the oil filer sufficiently and have a puddle of oil under it when bringing it up for me to drive off.
  • Changed my tuned port injectors but not the 19 year old rail seals, causing a fire that totaled my C4. Can't prove this but I KNOW this was the cause.
  • Pick up my car to find the clutch blown.
  • Plus other minor nightmares that I've since buried in my subconscious so that I can still hand my keys to a service manager when I absolutely have to.

Have they ever done anything right? Yes generally the actual repair that required the visit is remedied and not a problem in nearly all cases, but the "side affects" are minimally - satisfaction killers. With the exception of the C4 fire, the Chevy service manager remedied every one of the problems his repairmen caused to my satisfaction. But taking my vette into a dealer very frequently becomes a multiple visit mis-adventure.

I've been posting on Vette forums for decades and I know there are some VERY knowledgeable folks who work on Vettes at dealerships (some contribute here at DC). AND these guys have a lot of pride in their work. But obviously, they are in the minority - at least in So Cal. So for certain repairs, I ... we must continue to roll the dice.

Wish I could offer you more positive encouragement. Good Luck. I'm sure they will eventually get it right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure how far to push this. The vert lid scrapes on the window (unless I take action to grab the window and pull it farward) every time I raise or lower the top. The liner may be part of the problem, it was damaged by the lid, as described earlier in this thread.

I took it to a top shop in Hartsville SC today and was told there is no adjustment to be made.

I purchased the GM extended warrantie. The mechanical components of the top are covered. In this case the lid scraping is coveted. I have to admit it is no big deal to reach behind me and pull on the window during operation .

Opinions..., ignore it?

I took the car for a drive today, 68 degrees F., bright sunshine, top down, I do love the car. It turns a 50 yr old man into a adrenaline driven youth.
The window scraping problem can be fixed pretty easily. See

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Everyone who owns a C6 convertible has this problem. Tried the fix on the last post didn’t work. Tracked down a pair of replacement elastic straps on the internet fixed the issue. They are getting hard to find GM isn’t stocking them any longer. Some dealerships have them but are holding them for in house repairs. So good luck.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Do you get that little click as the tonneau cover opens and closes past the window on the top. There are two elastic straps that pull that forward so it clears the tonneau as it opens and closes. You are right though it is fun to watch every thing work in unison as it operates.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts