Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I have been a while since I have been able to get back to some of the questions regards the frame of the new C6, I have been hammered here at work.

There was some question about the frame construction and materials on the new Corvette. Well I have managed to find a few things out about it. As of now the frame will utilize materials and methods being used on the C5, however a few more parts will be hydro-formed. GM has created some prototype frames out of Aluminum for the new C6, but it is unlikely they will see production anytime soon.

The biggest problem that they are running into is the aluminum frame can't withstand all the DAMN salt that they use up here on the roads during the winter! Too much in the way of corrosion problems. But they are working on it. Some great new methods are being used though. Although GM is still working on the process of hydro-forming Aluminum, which is very, very difficult.

Expect to see in the next few years on all GM vehicles, aluminum pieces that are being created by vacuum forming sheets of aluminum. For those of you who are not familiar with the vacuum forming process, it has been used within the plastics industry for year.

Basically what is done is you take a sheet of aluminum and heat it up right around the point where it starts to become almost a liquid. At that exact point the sheet is draped over a forming tool and a vacuum is applied causing the aluminum to "suck" down around the form in order to gain the desired shape needed. Very sweet process to see!
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Man, that sounds super interesting! You're a lucky guy to have such a job. I myself have to deal with organizing and tuning of DB/2 and Oracle software (inssurances, banks etc.). You can't imagine how much bullshit is beeing spoken there and how hard you have to fight against windmills.
Anyway, the C6 frame was announced some time ago to be the same as at the Caddy XLR roadster. That one is definitely hydroformed steel. So I'm not surprised to hear that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
urbman said:
Man, that sounds super interesting! You're a lucky guy to have such a job. I myself have to deal with organizing and tuning of DB/2 and Oracle software (inssurances, banks etc.). You can't imagine how much bullshit is beeing spoken there and how hard you have to fight against windmills.
Anyway, the C6 frame was announced some time ago to be the same as at the Caddy XLR roadster. That one is definitely hydroformed steel. So I'm not surprised to hear that.
Yep, the C6 will share the XLR frame and some under hood electronics as well. I used to work for a company- 3 Dimensional Services- that did the prototype hydro-forming builds of the C5 roof bridge year back, since at the time we were the only company in the area that could actually do hydro-forming on a prototype level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

Runge Kutta was convinced that the C6 would have hydroformed aluminum frame. As I suppose it may, someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
Bike Mike,
Whats your job man??? I guess I never red that post... I saw one w/ convertible Z06's..... are you an insider? if so, are you gonna hire Bkuper? :excited: LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fenwick said:
Bike Mike,
Whats your job man??? I guess I never red that post... I saw one w/ convertible Z06's..... are you an insider? if so, are you gonna hire Bkuper? :excited: LOL
I am a Engineering manager for a shop that does several builds for GM similar to the white C6 "Exterior Buck" you have seen the pics of here. Although we are yet to do anything related to the GMX 245 (C6 Corvette) other then a small front exterior headlamp model, I get to lead my team in the creations of interior and exterior builds for evaluation or future vehicles GM is working on. We also happen to build specialty show cars such as SEMA vehicles. We just happen to do custom Corvette work as well! :thumbsup:

I just found out that GM legal team is at the facility where those C6 pictures were taking. Looks like more of my competition is going to be closed down. I knew when I saw those pics, someone was going to get their ass in a ringer!
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
3,723 Posts
Bike Mike said:
...I just found out that GM legal team is at the facility where those C6 pictures were taking. Looks like more of my competition is going to be closed down. I knew when I saw those pics, someone was going to get their ass in a ringer!
Wow! If GM didn't like those buck photos appearing on the net, wait until they see the rendering I'm working on based on this side view photo. :D



(give me a few days)

b.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,113 Posts
Back to the Al frame. I don't understand why there continues to be such a development problem for the vette AL HF rails. Audi has sold an all Al A8 for years. Now Jaguar is offering an all Al XJ. Whether you like these cars or not, they are too costly to throw away when the Al gets too corroded. Why hasn't GM applied the solutions these two are using to the Vette?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,634 Posts

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Bike Mike said:
I am a Engineering manager for a shop that does several builds for GM similar to the white C6 "Exterior Buck" you have seen the pics of here. Although we are yet to do anything related to the GMX 245 (C6 Corvette) other then a small front exterior headlamp model, I get to lead my team in the creations of interior and exterior builds for evaluation or future vehicles GM is working on. We also happen to build specialty show cars such as SEMA vehicles. We just happen to do custom Corvette work as well! :thumbsup:

I just found out that GM legal team is at the facility where those C6 pictures were taking. Looks like more of my competition is going to be closed down. I knew when I saw those pics, someone was going to get their ass in a ringer!
Were you able to identify the shop? I don't want to know who it was... but did you giggle when you saw the pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
why would it be a problem when the rest of the frame work is aluminum?:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patrick96LT4 said:
Were you able to identify the shop? I don't want to know who it was... but did you giggle when you saw the pics?
My first reaction was "HOLY SH!T!" That was followed by a laugh! I knew exactly who had that build and what GM senior management was going to do about it when they word got out on those pics! Needless to say, GM will be shutting them down! Like I said, their legal team has been over there. I just got word that yesterday afternoon GM build that model and all other property of theirs out of the that facility. Security is very tight with all of GM's builds! Every door in my building that leads to the shop floor has a very large sign on it saying, "NO CAMERAS OR VIDEO DEVICES ALLOWED"
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top