Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really really really hope GM gets this car right. I currently own two Lexus cars and have had many Jap cars in the past, however I have owned GM cars (89 Corvette) and a couple of Fords too.

My hope is the C6 has a fit & finish similar to a Camry or Accord.

When it comes to engines and tranny the U.S. makes cars that are as good as the Japs but something gets lost on the assembly line when they get added together??

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
They've claimed the fit and finish will be greatly improved on the interior.

Of course... seeing is believing. Righto?

·
Registered
157 Posts
That’s a joke. Tell me one riceburner that could match a C5 concerning engine behaviour and driving fun.
When you see your car solely as an utensil, I understand that you care about some rattling. But when you realize that your Corvette is your passion, what do you care about ‘fit and finish?’
The Corvette by far can not compete against Audi, BMW and Mercedes when you look at the detail finish. Why do I drive Corvettes for nearly 20 years now, here in Germany, where my surrounding area is full of BMW and Mercedes dealers?
Because this perfection in assembly is boring to me, these cars don’t have a character, they look all the same and drive all the same. If you would give me a Camry for free, I wouldn’t take it. These kinda cars make me sick!
In addition: The C5 hardtop coupe I drive at present is my 6th Vette until 1985, and I never ever had mechanical problems with one of them. That is by far better than any Mercedes or BMW I have owned.
Believe me, the guys in Bowling Green make a powertrain which is hardly matched by the world competitors and the interior is good enough that it won’t fall apart.
And – if they would really manufacture the Corvette in the same manner like Mercedes does, you would have to pay 120 k$ for it, as f.e. for an AMG SL55.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
urbman said:
That’s a joke. Tell me one riceburner that could match a C5 concerning engine behaviour and driving fun.
When you see your car solely as an utensil, I understand that you care about some rattling. But when you realize that your Corvette is your passion, what do you care about ‘fit and finish?’
The Corvette by far can not compete against Audi, BMW and Mercedes when you look at the detail finish. Why do I drive Corvettes for nearly 20 years now, here in Germany, where my surrounding area is full of BMW and Mercedes dealers?
Because this perfection in assembly is boring to me, these cars don’t have a character, they look all the same and drive all the same. If you would give me a Camry for free, I wouldn’t take it. These kinda cars make me sick!
In addition: The C5 hardtop coupe I drive at present is my 6th Vette until 1985, and I never ever had mechanical problems with one of them. That is by far better than any Mercedes or BMW I have owned.
Believe me, the guys in Bowling Green make a powertrain which is hardly matched by the world competitors and the interior is good enough that it won’t fall apart.
And – if they would really manufacture the Corvette in the same manner like Mercedes does, you would have to pay 120 k$ for it, as f.e. for an AMG SL55.

Well said. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
urbman said:

Well I know a Lexus GS430 was not built to handle like a Corvette. As far as MB or BMW they are not as refined as a Lexus so I agree with you there but fit and finish is equally important as performance.

A well balanced car can do both i.e 911 or Supra Turbo's & C5.

The most recent GM cars/trucks I have driven were very high quality so I'm pretty stoked:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
urbman said:
My Vette rattles.. and I still like it.

Good post!

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
well said urbman.(what does that stand for)?
i had an 89' with a true rubber maid interior.man the 99' is a totally different car.the fit and finish on my car is great.no rattle's or squeek's,no tear's everything fit's perfectly together.the leather seat's could be a little better though.
one thing i like about vette's,they give you good power stock,and you can upgrade the interior from many aftermarket company.it's not a bad interior,it's just not flashy.if you have never driven a C5,you should go test drive one,it's a pretty impressive car.and the price,no one can touch it.:buhbye:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've owned a lot of American cars with the so-called poor fit & finish. I can't recall one time that has kept the car from doing what I wanted or needed it to do! I could really care less if a hood and fender don't line up perfectly. I don't want to spend too much time or money on the "fit & finish". My C5 is just fine with me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I for one think it would be nice to see Chevy get rid of the "Star Trek by Fisher Price" interior on the 'vette and go with something a little more refined and less plastic-ish. I've read that the new fabrication process they're using for the exterior body panels will allow them to match the smaller gaps that you see in sheet metal cars from Europe and Japan. I've also read that the interior will be more sophisticated looking.

Would I trade my '02 C5 for anything in the world? Hell no. Would I like to see the quality of the interior improve and the gaps decrease on the already-sexy exterior? Sure. That doesn't mean I don't own the sweetest sports car on the planet. Because I do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi hawaii-5-lo,
you want to know, what Urbman stands for?
That's pretty simple. My name is Oliver Urban. My buddies call me Urbman since i can remember. That's it.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:laughing: the only thing i could think of was,Suburban Man..
make's perfect sense now.wow,iv'e seen quit a few member's from Germany,and all over the world on this site lately.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts