Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new member here. I'm trying to decide which model I should buy for my first Corvette, a low mileage C5 ZO6, or a new C6? I'm leaning towards a new C6, but I do have a couple of questions. My main question has to do with the C6's Front and Rear Track Width. I have noticed in the specs, that the new C6 is 1" narrower than the C5, but also, the C6's Rear Track Width is 1.4" narrower than the Front Track Width. On the C5 ZO6 the Rear Track Width is .2" wider than the Front Track Width. So my question is, where is this measurement taken from? Is it from the outside edge of one tire to the out side edge of the other tire, or is it from the center contact patch of one tire to the center contact patch of the other? I have seen cars with narrower rear ends (as compared to the front ends) and they don't look right to my eye. Is this the situation with the new C6, and if so does anyone know why? I can't imagine that a narrower rear end would lend itself to better handling? But then again, what do I know :WTF

·
"a title"
790 Posts
Well,

For a first Corvette, I would go with the C5Z06 if you are trying to save money. You can pick one up for a lot cheaper than buying a new one. As far as the wheel sizes, the C6 has wheels that are 1 inch larger in diameter, 18/19 on the c6 vice 17/18 on the C5. However, the c5z06 has fatter tires on the back, 295's vice 275s on the c6.

As far as how to measure or whatever, all I know is that the c6 has a 1 inch wider wheelbase, however, the body is 1 inch less wide than the c5.

People will argue that the c5z06 is a better handling car due to the stiffer suspension, and beefier shocks and ****. I opted for the c6 F55 so I can drive to work in comfort and switch to a hard suspension when I want. I'm sure the F55 in sport mode is nowhere near the capabilities of the c5z06, but I don't give a **** since I drive my car to work, and I don't race it. Your mileage may vary.

Paul

·
Registered
0 Posts
briankmagby said:
... the new C6 is 1" narrower than the C5, but also, the C6's Rear Track Width is 1.4" narrower than the Front Track Width. On the C5 ZO6 the Rear Track Width is .2" wider than the Front Track Width. .... where is this measurement taken from? .... I have seen cars with narrower rear ends... they don't look right. ... Is this the situation with the new C6, and if so does anyone know why?....
Wheelbase: 105.7"
Overall length: 174.6
Overall width: 72.6
Overall height: 49.1
Track: 62.1/60.7
Curb weight: est. 3214 lbs.
Weight distribution: 51/49

Wheelbase (in): 104.5"
Overall length: 179.7
Overall width: 73.6
Overall height: 47.7 47.8 (Vert)
Track: 61.9/62 (62.4/62.6 Z06)
Curb weight: 3246 (3248 Vert/3118 Z06)
Weight distribution: 51/49 (53/47 Z06)

Track Width
The track width is the distance from the tires' centerlines.

Does a narrower rear track width look wrong?
The '05's 1.4" narrower rear track equates to .7" per side, which many eyes won't detect. The viewer perspective is further skewed by the larger P285/35ZR-19 tires on 10" rims (vs. front: P245/40ZR-18/8.5").

The why's (opinion now) include the engineering goals of good handling. It's a total package. One suspension element will change the total equasion. Bottom line is how well the car handles as tested on the skid pan and road courses. GM obvoiusly felt with the larger 10" rear tire contact patch, chassis and body dimensions, suspension geometry was best suited for a slightly narrower rear track to balance the car out.

C'ya
D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the price goes for the C5 vs the C6, I'm not worried about that.

c5d, thanks for the info. If the "Track Width" is measured form the tire "Center Line" as you stated then the width as measured from out side edge of the tire to outside edge of the tire may be the same width as the front since the rear tires and rims are wider than the front. This would give it a normal appearance, rather than the narrow look of the rear like I have seen on other cars that I thought looked really bad. I didn't notice a narrow looking rear when I test drove the C6, but I was a bit distracted with everything else ;) Otherwise I really love the C6, so that will probably be what I get. A nice 2006 Z51 C6. Now, what color Ha! Ha

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Due to the large width and increased backspacing(positive offset) in modern cars it will become more and more common to see narrower measured track width at the rear wheels than front especially if the rear wheels are significantly wider, in this case if the outside edges of the tires are parallel the rear tread width will always measure narrower than front.

Yes I am Capt Obvious today.:D

·
Registered
0 Posts
briankmagby said:
... If the "Track Width" is measured form the tire "Center Line"... then the width as measured from out side edge of the tire to outside edge of the tire may be the same width as the front...
Correct. :thumbsup:

The front/rear tread width difference of .7" (per side) is negated by the .75", additional rim width (1.5" total = .75" inboard/outboard to the rim centerline).

So the C6 actually should have additional, per side, rear tire outside tread measurement of +.05" beyond the fronts.

Good observation/deduction!

C'ya
D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts