Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up my 2013 with 32k miles about 5 days ago, and the next morning my garage reeked of gasoline. I knew I didn't overfill or anything, but assumed an ounce or two got out as I took the fill hose out of the filler tube. Drove to work and at the end of the day, the inside smelled strongly of gasoline. Next morning even worse. You couldn't drive it without the windows down without getting too much gas smell. The car is out of warranty because it is over 36 months old and I never get the extended warranty. Never have really needed it. Anyway, took it to the local Chevy dealer that sells lots of Corvettes this morning and just got the call. The smell is definitely coming from above the gas tank somewhere and to get to the top of the tank, you have to drop the differential and transmission. Cost just to get to the tank and look? $1500. What are you gonna do? Drive with the windows down forever? When they get there, I wouldn't think it would be much to fix. Filler tube, fuel line, vapor line. Seems like the only things that could leak unless I need a whole new gas tank. I guess the only reason not to be kicking myself is that the extended warranty was over $1500. Just.....damn. :thud:

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Figures.

Not to make a bad situation worse... I would ask if there is anything else worth looking at or might be checked since they're dropping your drivetrain? I'd really kick myself if something else goes wrong later on that could have been checked while the car's apart.

Good luck!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figures.

Not to make a bad situation worse... I would ask if there is anything else worth looking at or might be checked since they're dropping your drivetrain? I'd really kick myself if something else goes wrong later on that could have been checked while the car's apart.

Good luck!
Good point. I'll be talking to him once they get to the tank. I'll mention that. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
That's weird.

Did you screw anything into the carpet, like a fire extinguisher or something?

You should be careful, the gas tanks go around the exhausts, which is not too good with gas as it has a slight tendency to be inflammable.

That being said, are you sure it's the gas tanks? You could have a leak in the engine bay which would explain that the smell as it would go into the car via the A/C vents.

I would check other places before blaming the gas tanks itself, especially if the smell hits the inside of the car whilst driving because the entrance of the cabin air is in the engine bay.

:cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's weird.

Did you screw anything into the carpet, like a fire extinguisher or something?

You should be careful, the gas tanks go around the exhausts, which is not too good with gas as it has a slight tendency to be inflammable.

That being said, are you sure it's the gas tanks? You could have a leak in the engine bay which would explain that the smell as it would go into the car via the A/C vents.

I would check other places before blaming the gas tanks itself, especially if the smell hits the inside of the car whilst driving because the entrance of the cabin air is in the engine bay.

:cheers:
Nope. Haven't done anything to the car. The smell test did seem to point toward the back of the car. If you opened the hood, you didn't smell any gas. But with the hood closed, you could walk within five feet of the car and smell it. And yes, I was pretty nervous about driving it to the dealer, but didn't think it was worth a tow for a two mile drive. I guess I'm just having to take their word for it, but it makes sense because it started immediately after a fill-up. I'm guessing fill neck separated from tank. What I don't know is if it is built into the tank or attached with a clamp. I'm sure with my luck it's part of the tank and I'm out another thousand. :lookinup: while I don't drive a lot of miles, I go across a double railroad track twice a day going to and from work. I guess it's possible all that vibration broke something. :huh:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I'd have to try to get GM involved. Aren't parts of new car EPA warranties covered for like......a bunch of miles? I'd think that a strong gas smell would fall under evaporative emission controls and might, just might, be covered by some sort of warranty. Phone calls are cheap. If it's not warrantied possibly you can get some sort of break on the repair cost because you don't want your Corvette just "blowing up". With your forum documentation that would certainly be a big ole' black eye for GM. Then there's the fight between your insurance company and GM headquarters. I'd have to make that call.

Or......just write off a root canal. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
The pipe that fills the gas tank is easily accessible by removing rear left wheel and the side panel.

The side panel comes off after having move the rear panel.

It can be done in 30 minutes quite easily.

I doubt that the bumps are the issue unless it's a manufacturing defects.

Sorry about your bad luck though :cheers:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Dang, and ain't your lease about up too?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang, and ain't your lease about up too?
Got a little over a year left. Probably my last Vette. Just helped my son pick out a new Chevy Siverado and got bit a little bit by the pickup bug. That's what I always drove before I got the '09. We'll see what the next year brings. :cheers:

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
You should report that to www.safercar.gov

If there are enough complaints of this fire issue, they will open an investigation that could lead to a recall and help the next fellow. That kind of issue can not only burn a car down, but can burn a house down if it is parked in or near a garage with an ignition source around the vapor.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
as a matter of fact - here is the first one on the list:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=CORVETTE&cmplCount=50&rclCount=2&invCount=1&tsbCount=43&activeTab=0&stats=1637818,0,0,18,63,CORVETTE&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=/downloads/folders/&searchCriteria.model_yr=2013&searchCriteria.make=CHEVROLET&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1637818&submit=Go

Date Complaint Filed: 08/13/2016 Date of Incident: 08/03/2016 Component(s): FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM NHTSA ID Number: 10895492 Consumer Location: ORO VALLEY, AZ

All Products Associated with this Complaint expand

Details close

help
close
0 Available Documents

Crash:No
Fire:No
Number of Injuries:0
Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1GTEK19T6YE...

SUMMARY:
EVERY TIME I FILL UP WITH GAS I SMELL A STRONG ODOR OF GAS FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS UNTIL THE FUEL LEVEL GOES DOWN (DRIVEN DAILY). I CAN SMELL THE GAS ODOR IN AND OUTSIDE OF THE VEHICLE AND IT ALSO FILLS UP MY GARAGE WITH GAS FUMES. I DO NOT OVERFILL WHEN PUTTING GAS IN. AFTER LOOKING INTO THIS IT APPEARS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH LEAKS IN THE FUEL PUMP TO FUEL TANK AREA OR CRACKS AROUND TANK FITTINGS, AND SHOULD BE LOOKED INTO AS A VERY SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE.

Date Complaint Filed: 02/17/2016 Date of Incident: 12/01/2015 Component(s): FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM NHTSA ID Number: 10836795 Consumer Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ

All Products Associated with this Complaint expand

Details close

help
close
0 Available Documents

Crash:No
Fire:No
Number of Injuries:0
Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1G1YW2DW3D5...

SUMMARY:
STRONG GAS ODOR COMING FROM VEHICLE.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
69MYWAY, you get the prize. Talked to service writer yesterday. He said they found the problem and it was the "fuel pump module". When they went to order the part late in the day, they got a response that this part was "restricted". He didn't know what that meant and said he would call back today when he got more info. Just called back and said GM had determined this was a faulty part and a service bulletin was getting ready to go out on it. And.......GM is paying for the entire repair. YOWZAA!!! I was looking at a minimum of $2500, so I am a happy camper. He said the part might take a few days to get here, but at this point I don't care. I have a rent car right now that I'm taking back Saturday and I'm charging the battery in the El Camino that hasn't moved in a year so I can get to work next week. It needs a workout anyway. Got to get it inspected and re-registered tomorrow. Now I have to go find something fun to spend $2500 on. :laughing:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Don't you hate how GM doesn't provide loaners? I once drove my BMW loaner 1500 miles over the 2 1/2 days I had it. :laughing:

That's great that GM recognizes the problem and is repairing it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got to visit my baby today. I needed the garage door opener out of it. There it sits on a rack, waiting on a part with no ETA. :lookinup:

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
69MYWAY, you get the prize. Talked to service writer yesterday. He said they found the problem and it was the "fuel pump module". When they went to order the part late in the day, they got a response that this part was "restricted". He didn't know what that meant and said he would call back today when he got more info. Just called back and said GM had determined this was a faulty part and a service bulletin was getting ready to go out on it. And.......GM is paying for the entire repair. YOWZAA!!! I was looking at a minimum of $2500, so I am a happy camper. He said the part might take a few days to get here, but at this point I don't care. I have a rent car right now that I'm taking back Saturday and I'm charging the battery in the El Camino that hasn't moved in a year so I can get to work next week. It needs a workout anyway. Got to get it inspected and re-registered tomorrow. Now I have to go find something fun to spend $2500 on. :laughing:

Chevy stopped producing the fuel pump assemblies for c6 corvettes. They are a serviceable part now. Hope this helps you understand "restricted" It doesn't mean you cant get a pump, just that you will now need to break the module down and replace individual parts in the pump assembly. We learned of this on the last one we changed.

Usually it is the lid of the module that cracks. Or the plastic tank warps and the O-ring that goes between the module and the tank do not make a seal anymore. This is commonly discovered early on as the pump will be very difficult to remove from the tank.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dang! Hard to believe they would stop production three years after the run. All they have told me is they are waiting on the part. I assumed it was the entire assembly. Maybe it's just a needed part for the module. Not much I can do now but wait it out. :lookinup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't believe it's been this long to be able to give an update on my gas tank. It's been nearly eight weeks since I took the car to the Chevy dealer, and they called yesterday and said they finally had the part and it would be ready in 2-3 days. They are telling me the part was in redesign and had to be newly manufactured. Whatever. Hopefully I'm back on the road in a few days. :thud:

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
You're gonna fall in love all over again. Sucks being away from the vette for so long.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're gonna fall in love all over again. Sucks being away from the vette for so long.
Absolutely. My '83 El Camino with no air except for the engine fumes coming through the ventilation system is getting a little tiring. The amazing thing is that after two months of driving through fast food joints, I think I get more "nice car" comments on the El Camino than I do the Vette. :laughing: I'm liking the new avatar BTW. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts