21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,360 Posts
Pretty soon you are going t be just like Willie Nelson = On the road again

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Absolutely. My '83 El Camino with no air except for the engine fumes coming through the ventilation system is getting a little tiring. The amazing thing is that after two months of driving through fast food joints, I think I get more "nice car" comments on the El Camino than I do the Vette. :laughing: I'm liking the new avatar BTW. :thumbsup:

Our 86 barely has air as well. My wife drives it when her vette needs work. I swear, she gets an offer every day from someone who wants to buy it.

And yea...it was time for a new avatar of the "new" ride. It's been 7 months.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Our 86 barely has air as well. My wife drives it when her vette needs work. I swear, she gets an offer every day from someone who wants to buy it.

And yea...it was time for a new avatar of the "new" ride. It's been 7 months.
:partyon::partyon::partyon:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally got my car back yesterday after 8-1/2 weeks at the Chevy dealer. My service writer was sick, so it was basically, "here's your car". The little bit of driving I have done so far, the car feels normal and everything seems to work. There is no gas smell and it didn't cost me anything, so I guess I'll just lick my wounds and move on. :lookinup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2008 coupe with a manual that I bought new. Only 26K miles on it now but the fuel pump module has been leaking at the top for quite some time. The car had been parked at my son's house in his carport so the fuel smell wasn't so bad. But, my son moved and it's now kept in my garage. Terrible smell and time to deal with the issue.

I had gotten the notification in the mail from Chevrolet that said if I was experiencing the smell problem, it would be fixed and covered by them.

But, I had heard some horror stories about dealers breaking tanks and crossover tubes and then charging the customers for it. Also heard about other issues with amount of time and parts being out of stock and such.

So anyway, I decided to just buy a new pump module and do the job myself. Research had told me that only automatic models needed to have the transaxle pulled down and out of the way.

I just completed this job yesterday. I bought a Delphi pump assembly from RockAuto and the cost on that was $215. I also had to buy the 2 tube assembly that connects the pump module to the tank crossover tube. The connection broke when I pulled the crossover tube away from the tank at the top. The tube assembly was $69 and I got it on Amazon. So the total job cost me $284. Well worth it to avoid the potential headaches I might have had.

The job is a pain though. Tight quarters for sure. Once the tank is out, installing the new pump module into the tank isn't easy either. The 2 tubes have to be connected with the module half way into the hole.

Still, there's no person like the owner that can have the time it takes to be patient and not hack anything like dealer mechanics do sometimes.

Drove the car today and it's back in the garage with not a hint of gasoline smell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Filled up my 2013 with 32k miles about 5 days ago, and the next morning my garage reeked of gasoline. I knew I didn't overfill or anything, but assumed an ounce or two got out as I took the fill hose out of the filler tube. Drove to work and at the end of the day, the inside smelled strongly of gasoline. Next morning even worse. You couldn't drive it without the windows down without getting too much gas smell. The car is out of warranty because it is over 36 months old and I never get the extended warranty. Never have really needed it. Anyway, took it to the local Chevy dealer that sells lots of Corvettes this morning and just got the call. The smell is definitely coming from above the gas tank somewhere and to get to the top of the tank, you have to drop the differential and transmission. Cost just to get to the tank and look? $1500. What are you gonna do? Drive with the windows down forever? When they get there, I wouldn't think it would be much to fix. Filler tube, fuel line, vapor line. Seems like the only things that could leak unless I need a whole new gas tank. I guess the only reason not to be kicking myself is that the extended warranty was over $1500. Just.....damn. :thud:
There is a GM recall for this, at least for my C6. Small cracks appear in the left-side tank top where the fuel pump is inserted. I just had GM replace a bad fuel pump so when in there they looked for the suspect cracks and said everything looked fine. I wonder if this could be your problem. Your symptoms are very indicative of this tank problem.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts