Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinions for a problem I am having.

I purchased vinyl clear covers for my C6 for a reputable vendor. Cleaned and detailed the car on saturday and installed the clear vinyl over the headlights. Left the car in the garage until monday morning.

Jump into the car Monday and Tuesday and drive to work.

Coming out for lunch on Tuesday and I look to see how the vinyl is clinging and hanging on.

Disaster!!

Wherever the vinyl was applied caused the cover to crack or craze or whatever you want to call it.

The question have for DC members is what should the vendor be responsible for?
Should they be responsible for what their product damaged and replace what is very upsetting to see?

·
Registered
649 Posts
:surprised Do you have Pics. Did the heat bake it on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've read where others have had the same problem. Vendors usually will only offer you a refund on the product. From what I've read; The film is not recommended for the c6 headlights.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Hi,

I suspect that you are in an unfortunate position of a headlamp that has over heated due to the plastic on top.

I am always very careful when it comes to adding stuff to the vette because many people are looking to make a quick buck and don't care about the impact.

As some have said, the vendor will probably only refund you the product and has some lingo stating apply at your own risk.

Looks like you are JSB?

Sorry for your bad luck

a++ Cedric

ps: There was a post some where warning about this issue.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I need opinions for a problem I am having.

I purchased vinyl clear covers for my C6 for a reputable vendor. Cleaned and detailed the car on saturday and installed the clear vinyl over the headlights. Left the car in the garage until monday morning.

Jump into the car Monday and Tuesday and drive to work.

Coming out for lunch on Tuesday and I look to see how the vinyl is clinging and hanging on.

Disaster!!

Wherever the vinyl was applied caused the cover to crack or craze or whatever you want to call it.

The question have for DC members is what should the vendor be responsible for?
Should they be responsible for what their product damaged and replace what is very upsetting to see?

you need to know that the lenses are clearcoated with a uv clear. I recondition them on a daily basis and ther ar very few that i wont fix unless it has impact damage they are almost all fixable. call me 361 920 6446, Robert- Guthrie Performance

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read where others have had the same problem. Vendors usually will only offer you a refund on the product. From what I've read; The film is not recommended for the c6 headlights.
Here is the jist of my concern, what should a reputable, national vendor do?

This is not a little local vendor but a national corvette vendor who is the list on the left.

I checked some of the other vendors and they offer the same film. If there is an issue they should pull the product and IMO pay for damages. Isn't that the right thing to do?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is a long known problem. If you do a search on crazing on C6 headlights, you'll see all kinds of articles pop up.

The general suspect was two fold:
1) The excess use of alchohol on the headlamps caused the material to weaken (Alchohol is a solvent and will dry out plastics)

2) Using too thick a film causing the headlight cover to overheat

Since you applied the covers yourself you might be SOL. Some people just removed the covers and took it back to the dealer claiming it was a manufacturing defect. It's a less than honest approach. But I'll leave it to your conscience if that's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is the jist of my concern, what should a reputable, national vendor do?

This is not a little local vendor but a national corvette vendor who is the list on the left.

I checked some of the other vendors and they offer the same film. If there is an issue they should pull the product and IMO pay for damages. Isn't that the right thing to do?
Maybe you can go after the actual manufacturer for damages. Try to contact them and let them know what happened and that you are willing to file with your local court if a resolution is not reached. After all, what do you have to lose? Heck, try the same approach with the vendor that sold you the product.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Given to prior publications regarding the outcome and the experiences of others from such application, may be a case of caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there are prior complaints and the vendor does not pull the product and the vendor does not offer any warning then isn't the vendor and manufacturer liable??

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but I would think you would have to prove in court:

a) that the film was too thick, causing overheating and cracking. There are several mil thickness choices. Were you only presented one? Or given a choice which you picked yourself?

b) That the cleaner solvent you applied to the plastic lenses YOURSELF did not contribute to the failure.

So can you do that? Since you applied it yourself, the vendor might try to push it off as an installer issue.

I presented my concerns to a local vendor who applied films to cars. After he saw my web links to complaints about cracking, he said he was no longer willing to apply the film to my headlights even with the thinnest mil available.

The headlamps are about $700/each.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did this problem happen to you Yellowblur??

The vendor only lists the film and no thickness.

I have maintained the car the same way for 5+ years with no problems. Install film and 4 days later cracked/crazed lens.

Seems to be cause and effect with the film the cause of my problem.

The instructions said use a sock and I used a sock.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Did this problem happen to you Yellowblur??
The instructions said use a sock and I used a sock.
I avoided the headlight film because of said problems. So I never experienced the problem.

If you just used a sock to clean/prep the lens, then it sounds like you might have something to go on.

I wish you luck. :thumbsup: Let us know how it goes.

-D

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
The headlamps are about $700/each.
If he has JSB I will sell him my US lamp shells (left overs from my EURO conversion) if he wants, so it won't cost him that much.

For me the main issue is that he got shafted by a vendor and he's probably not the first ...

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
146 Posts
If there are prior complaints and the vendor does not pull the product and the vendor does not offer any warning then isn't the vendor and manufacturer liable??
Prior publications may not be enough of a smoking gun to shoulder the installer and/or manufacturer with causation and can work against the plaintiff – hence, caveat emptor; the axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying. The product also may bear fine print furthermore serving as a disclaimer to liability whereby limiting performance failures to refunds.

It may additionally be brought to light (consideration) that GM recommends against any such application of any type of film covering to be adhered to the headlight lenses in that such application will result in conflicting rates of expansion due to the heat given to the materials mentioned and thereby affecting such outcomes – crazed/cracked lenses, and voiding any warrant claims against GM as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts