Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 C6 with 42,000 miles on it. The thing runs like a champ, but recently I started hearing a medium pitch whine that is just driving me nuts. It doesn't happen under decel or accel, just at cruise between 55mph and 70mph.

Turning the wheel back and forth does not eliminate it, it does not increase in pitch or amplitude noticably with speed or RPM (same pitch in 4th or 6th gears). Under heavy accel it goes away, but comes back on when I back off the throttle to cruise again...

My first thought was tranny whine, but different gears don't change the sound... I've serviced both the tranny and rear-end at 30,000 miles...put Mobil 1 LS in the rear and Amsoil ATF in the trans. Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? I'm stumped.
Could be a couple things if not the tranny

Check the rear axle boots make sure they are intact. They hold in the greese for the CV joint. If you loose those the CV joint will soon make noise and eventually fail.

Are the tires getting low on tread?

Last time you had an alignment check? (uneven tire ware would be a clue)

Have you had the bearings checked out?

There was recalls issued for certain number corvettes where the transmission pack bearings were put in backwards. This lead to noticeable whine, especially when going around corners, or in reverse. Unfortunately I can't remember what year(s) were affected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Axle boots are great...don't drive in the rain and she lives in the garage, so no problem there. Tread is low...thought the sound should change when swerving though.

Have not had the bearings checked out. I didn't want to pull the tranny unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Axle boots are great...don't drive in the rain and she lives in the garage, so no problem there. Tread is low...thought the sound should change when swerving though.

Have not had the bearings checked out. I didn't want to pull the tranny unless absolutely necessary.
:smack

I mean wheel bearings. My fault, I should have specified.

The throw out bearing shouldn't even be in play here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a built tranny installed and some goof didnt put in enough tranny fluid and it started whining but by then it was too late.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That really sucks...I hope that's not my problem. When I filled the tranny, I pushed fluid into it until it started flowing out of the fill hole, so I don't know that I could have even fit any more...

I was also thinking maybe it doesn't like the Amsoil ATF...maybe I'll switch it up to something else. My brother can get me BG's synthetic free...is that a could fluid to use in the Vette trans?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Clutch fuild is just really pretty much the same stuff as dot-4 brake fluid.

The synthetic stuff currently used by BG is pretty good.

I heard of a lot of people liking Royal Purple Sychromax. But I never tried it myself.

When switching between tranny fluid brands, it's best to drain all the old stuff out first. Then follow the recommendations in the service manual for filling. AVOID THE PAINT!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a built tranny installed and some goof didnt put in enough tranny fluid and it started whining but by then it was too late.
The noise was loud all over. I have a coupe and the "noise" seemed like it was loudest as I was seated looking forward about 5 oclock just underneth the area where the console joins the hatchback area.

To the best of my rememberance, car in idle sitting still in neutral clutch in no noise, release the clutch and of course the gears start turning in the tranny and thus the noise. It got louder in gear driving as rpms increased

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Manual states to fill until overflow...so I'm pretty sure it's not a fluid issue, unless the Amsoil is just too thin, which is definitely possible. That stuff is supposed to penetrate really well, so I assume it's pretty thin. The stuff that came out looked horrible.

I've had good experience in the past with Royal Purple...maybe I'll switch to it...which stuff are people using? BTW, why the heck does it use ATF? Every manual trans I've ever owned used 90W gear lube...that baffled me a bit when I saw it in the manual...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Manual states to fill until overflow...so I'm pretty sure it's not a fluid issue, unless the Amsoil is just too thin, which is definitely possible. That stuff is supposed to penetrate really well, so I assume it's pretty thin. The stuff that came out looked horrible.

I've had good experience in the past with Royal Purple...maybe I'll switch to it...which stuff are people using? BTW, why the heck does it use ATF? Every manual trans I've ever owned used 90W gear lube...that baffled me a bit when I saw it in the manual...
If it's manual with a clutch, use manual fluid NOT ATF.

Sorry it's morning and I haven't had my coffee, so I had a brain lapse.

Edit: After checking my post I did recommend the manual fluid for your manual transmission. Turns out I'm more awake than I thought. :laughing:

·
Registered
145 Posts

DO NOT use 90w gear oil, thats what goes in the diff
use the manufacturers recommended fluid in the tranny....There is a big While sticky close to the fill hole that says ATF, why I dont know but thats what to use.

If the noise sounds like a roar instead of a whine then its the wheel bearing. Ive had several go out cause i keep the DD until it is not repairable anymore...last one 250k miles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing at idle...it's really only over 55mph, and it's only under very light load (cruise, no accel/decel). I would think that bad wheel bearing would get worse under loads (say around a turn). I can't change the sound with steering, only with load. It goes away above 70MPH.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can't change the sound with steering, only with load. It goes away above 70MPH.
Wheel bearings can noisiest at a slower speed. I've had several wheel bearings that were loudest at ~40MPH. After that, tire noise & wind noise took over.

I know you said there's not sound when turning, but I just want to make sure we got the basics covered. Have you tried turning in a tight circle slowly?

A good indicator is to drive slowly in a tight circle. First left, then right. See if the noise gets louder. If louder turning left, chances are it's a right front bearing. If louder turning right, it's a left front bearing.

To me a bad bearing sounds more like tires going over an open grate bridge. More of a buzzing hum then a whine like when downshifting a transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It really sounds to me like trans/rear end whine (gear whine)...I've owned mostly jappers before this one, so they'd always have a high pitched final drive whine...this one sounds like a lower frequency, but still a gear whine, which makes sense since the ratio is lower, wheels are bigger, etc.

I'm going to change both my Trans fluid and Rear Diff fluid again...suggestions for fluids in each? The last change I put Amsoil ATF in the trans and Mobile1 LS 75W90 in the rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2005 C6 with 42,000 miles on it. The thing runs like a champ, but recently I started hearing a medium pitch whine that is just driving me nuts. It doesn't happen under decel or accel, just at cruise between 55mph and 70mph.

Turning the wheel back and forth does not eliminate it, it does not increase in pitch or amplitude noticably with speed or RPM (same pitch in 4th or 6th gears). Under heavy accel it goes away, but comes back on when I back off the throttle to cruise again...

My first thought was tranny whine, but different gears don't change the sound... I've serviced both the tranny and rear-end at 30,000 miles...put Mobil 1 LS in the rear and Amsoil ATF in the trans. Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? I'm stumped.
I know this is old, but did you ever figure out the issue? I'm having the EXACT same problem. (08 C6 Z06) The sound is only present at around 70 holding speed. Accel or Decel it goes away.

I'm trying to eliminate things one at a time. Hoping it is not the Diff....

If you figured it out, please drop me a line!!

Ray

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
You're sure it's not the tires? The original run-flats on mine were the noisiest tires I've ever driven. I switched to non-run-flat Michelin Pilot SS, which have been wonderful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not the tires. I have 2 sets. Drag radials and brand new Bridgestones. The original Goodyears definitely were terrible. .

·
Registered
1 Posts

i have the same problem on my 2005 corvette z51 73k miles the exact same speeds and gears ,any update on solution???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone found the problem? Have the same symptoms. Whine at around 50-70 under light acceleration. Goes away when not under load. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Axle boots are great...don't drive in the rain and she lives in the garage, so no problem there. Tread is low...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts