Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
05 C6 Converable Base
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my harmonic balancer replaced with a summit unit, ordered a new ARP bolt as well, unfortunately it was the wrong one, i didnt catch the error. the shop installed the HB and reused the old bolt :( . They wont fix it. i now have the right bolt. is it possible to change the bolt without doing the whole steering rack and subframe work again?

· Premium Member
1,404 Posts
First of all please tell me you had them install a damper not a harmonic balancer. Second they should have used a new bolt even if it was a only a new GM bolt. I don’t think your supposed to reuse that bolt but could be wrong.

When I had mine done for the second time I had the shop I use order an ATI super damper and an ARP bolt. Plus had them drill and pin the damper in case I wanted to S/C the car somewhere down the road.

If I were you I’d research to see if that bolt was a one time use bolt and if it is. I’d tell them if it brakes they can talk to my lawyer.

· Premium Member
4,941 Posts
Yup. On C5 and C6 you can unbolt the two nuts under the subframe for the motor mounts and put a piece of wood under the flat oil pan and jack the engine and get the harmonic balancer bolt above the steering rack. We do this when installing power adders and just wanna drill and pin the crank and balancer without changing it.

· Registered
05 C6 Converable Base
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. On C5 and C6 you can unbolt the two nuts under the subframe for the motor mounts and put a piece of wood under the flat oil pan and jack the engine and get the harmonic balancer bolt above the steering rack. We do this when installing power adders and just wanna drill and pin the crank and balancer without changing it.
Thank jyou for the info! Do I need to use a flywheel lock to torque thebarp bolt?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts